Power steering flush (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can someone please point me in the right direction to do a power steering flush on a 1988 hj61.
Also, to confirm that a full synthetic atf is the fluid I should use in it?
Starting to groan a bit, so I thought I should at least try a flush...

Thanks

Drew

So - I was impatient... and this happened...

IMG_3431.JPG

That is what I should have done... it now has 600ml of new atf in it, and 600ml of the old stuff on the driveway...

I will buy another container, and do as suggested over the next couple of weeks... and will continue degreasing the driveway...

1-A) Slow and clean option - Make the engine so it will crank over, but not start

1-B) Fast and potential messy option - Use running engine

2) Disconnect the PS return hose and place it in a bucket

3-A) Have someone crank the engine while pouring new PS fluid into the reservoir

3-B) Start engine and pour new PS fluid into reservoir

4-A) When clean fluid starts flowing into bucket, stop cranking and reconnect return hose

4-B) When clean fluid starts flowing into bucket,Turn off engine...and clean up mess

5) Have a beer

I've been doing the above through Step 2. But instead of cranking the motor I just turn the steering wheel lock to lock. As the level of fluid goes down in the reservoir add fluid. Do not allow it to suck air or it will be trouble.

Don't know if it's as thorough as the above procedure but certainly more thorough that just sucking out the reservoir and re-filling. I just thought there was too much risk of sucking air cranking the motor over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom