1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Steering Fluid

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Wayne, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Wayne

Wayne Bought by His blood, kept by His power

I want to replace the PS fluid and would like to know the recommended method for exchanging it ??? Thanks in advance :D.

Wayne S :cheers:

2. landtoy80

landtoy80

I changed my PS fluid on Mosquito Pass in Colorado :mad: :D
    I slowly left a trail across the whole mountian pass. I had a hose leak :'(
    It was bone dry when I got to gas station to fill it.
    This is not the method in the FSM

3. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

Wayne,

Here's what I would do:

. Syphon out old fluid in reservoir.
    . Remove the res. and clean it.
    . Put the res. back; reconnect the pressure line but plug its return line.
    . Prefill the res. with fresh fluid to prevent air introduction.
    . Connect a clear plastic extention line to the return hose and put it in a waste container.
    . Pull the EFI fuse (or an equivalent one)
    . Turn the wheels to extreme left or right.
    (You might wanna put the truck on stands when doing this)
    . Have someone crank the engine as you filling up the res. with fresh fluid.
    . Now turn the wheels to the opposite side & re-cranking & filling.
    . Once the fluid is clear & clean as desired, reconnect the return line.
    . Refill the res. slightly above the max. line to accomodate the fluid lost in the return line.
    . Restart the car - turn the steering wheels side to side (extreme) & watch the fluid level; refill if neccessary.

Frank.

PS: If the truck does not start after all this, put back the EFI fuse :slap:
    ( forgot to mention that above)

4. Wayne

Frank,

Thanks for the technique....... :D I understand everything, except pulling the EFI fuse..... :-\ why do that ???

5. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

Wayne,

You'd want the pump running slow enough so that you could refill the reservoir in the meantime - you really don't want to do it with the engine running.

Regards,
    Frank.

6. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Wayne,

Whatever you do, DO NOT do a search on this forum and come across the entire discussion of PS fluid exchange from October, 2003....heh...

DougM

7. Wayne

The reference to the discussion in OCT 03 concerning PS fluid exchange is appreciated........ the sarcastic insult was not necessary nor appreciated. If I can every help you in the future, I'd be happy to, and I won't insult you in the process.

8. Hltoppr

Hltoppr

Media:
    Albums:
    Port of Indecision...otherwise Northern Arizona
    ...but is PS fluid ATF, PS fluid, or lemming juice....damnit I want an answer! :mad:

:p

-H-

9. Safado

Safado

[quote author=sjcruiser link=board=2;threadid=10744;start=msg96566#msg96566 date=1075338654]
    Wayne,

Here's what I would do:

. Syphon out old fluid in reservoir.
    . Remove the res. and clean it.
    . Put the res. back; reconnect the pressure line but plug its return line.
    . Prefill the res. with fresh fluid to prevent air introduction.
    . Connect a clear plastic extention line to the return hose and put it in a waste container.
    . Pull the EFI fuse (or an equivalent one)
    . Turn the wheels to extreme left or right.
    (You might wanna put the truck on stands when doing this)
    . Have someone crank the engine as you filling up the res. with fresh fluid.
    . Now turn the wheels to the opposite side & re-cranking & filling.
    . Once the fluid is clear & clean as desired, reconnect the return line.
    . Refill the res. slightly above the max. line to accomodate the fluid lost in the return line.
    . Restart the car - turn the steering wheels side to side (extreme) & watch the fluid level; refill if neccessary.

Frank.

PS: If the truck does not start after all this, put back the EFI fuse :slap:
    ( forgot to mention that above)
    [/quote]

One thing I'll add to this. It seems that a significant amount of tiny air bubbles are still introduced into the system because when the return line is connected, the one big air bubble that is trapped there is blown through with quite a bit of force and creates the tiny bubbles in your system. Other have stated that after a few days of driving, they seem to work themselves out. They haven't yet in mine, but I seem to have quite a bit more air because I didn't pull the EFI fuse. Trust me, it's way too much force to keep up with. (I posted the same question 2 weeks ago and got slapped around even though I couldn't find anything back 600 days until ID gave me his username....but that's a different story.) Anyway, I think that if after reconnecting the return hose if you rocked the steering wheel back and forth from lock to lock, or ran the ignition once more w/out the EFI, you may be able to work that big bubble out in one piece. Just my 2 cents, got to prove it still this weekend.

10. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Whups, didn't mean to offend Wayne. My apologies to you.

Also, when you're done and the engine's running with the lid off don't be alarmed at what seems to be a tremendous amount of turbulence and what looks like a finger of PS fluid burbling up from the center. By coincidence, I'd noticed it before I did anything so I knew it was condition normal. If you hadn't looked in there before you might see it after you were done and wonder if something was wrong. Good luck - you'll be glad you changed it out.

DougM

11. Wayne

Thanks for the help and encouragement........ I plan to use Amsoil ATF for the replacement....... so, lemming juice or not, that's what I'm using :D. I'll let you know how it goes, or blows.

12. Wayne

Thanks Doug :D :D

13. Safado

Safado

UPDATE:

So I finally got around to changing out the PS fluid again today. I had no one to help, so I decided to modify the steps a bit. I decided to not pull the EFI fuse and run the pump. Instead, I connected an extension hose from the return line and capped the tube on the reservoir. I then turned the wheels from lock to lock until it had pumped out about a cup of fluid. I then stoped, filled the reservoir and then started again. Repeated this a few times until I had gone through just over a quart of fluid and saw the change in color. (pink to clear) I did it once more and the reconnected the return line before filling the reservoir. I then topped it off and then rocked the steering wheel for a few more rotations. This allowed a huge bubble to pass up into the reservoir and dropped the level of fluid. I just kept cranking it for a time and finally decided to turn it over and let it run for a bit. I then dropped it down from the jacks and took it for a spin.

AMAZING!!!! Not a squeek, squeal, or moan to be heard. :cheers: :cheers:

14. RavenTai

RavenTai

I did the same as Safado, works very well for one man PS fluid exchange you get to go at your own pace you don't have to try to keep up with the pump because it is not spinning, the big piston the the steerign box moves the fluid through the system for you, the return line is a little bigger than 3/8, (10mm?) the short section of 3/8" copper pipe I used to join the return line to the extension hose was a little loose in the hose (Lowes was out of 3/8" barbs) a barb might fit better

the cap for the return port on the reservoir is critical, this allows you to fill the reservoir without it running out

there are other methods outlined here (more than one way to skin a cat)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=5722;start=msg49406#msg49406

15. Safado

Safado

Glad it helped! :D

I actually used the same proceedure yesterday. I've got a pretty bad leak in my PS pump and need to get a rebuild kit. Anyway I had run it low on fluid and steering was getting quite difficult. I knew I had already introduced air into the system, but didn't want to drain it all again. I let it sit overnight so the bubbles in the fluid could gather as much as possible, I then used the same procedure to add more fluid to the reservoir slowly as the air bubbles were forced out. Purrs like a kitten again instead of moaning like a tom.

16. Biff

Biff

Question- If the PS fluid is dark instead of clear is it time to change it?

17. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

Yes Biff, like i said just a second ago on your other thread, it is not power steering fluid it is ATF. It should be red. When i changed mine it looked like gear oil.

18. Outback

Outback

Okay, so the same theory of cranking the gearbox to move fluid applies to when I go together with my new PS conversion for the first time and fill it, right??

I should cap the return line at the reservoir, put the return from the gearbox into a bottle, fill the reservior with PS fluid, crank the wheels from side to side a time or two, topping off the reservoir as I go until I get clean fluid in the bottle. Any other suggestions?

This is EXCELLENT information. I would not have known to fill and burp this way. Thank you all so much for asking and responding to this question. 'Mud is the best!!!!

Jody.

19. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

You are right on outback. Really easy stuff. I used a golf tee to plug my line. Just happened to be close by.

20. Safado

Safado

I don't know why you would want to cap the return line Jody...seems like in your scenario I would just leave the return line connected, fill the res and crank until it starts to empty...then refill. May work better as a 2 man job.

Or if you're worried, just extend the line and wait for it to start spilling over in a nice container...then plug it back in.