Power Steering fluid "Recharge" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Power Steering fluid (ATF) "Recharge"

Read a article in "Off Road Adventures" the monthly that 4Wheel Parts puts out. It was suggested That you take a turkey baster and suck out the power steering fluid (which in the case of a sixty series is actually ATF) from the reservoir then add back fresh fluid (ATF). Of course a true flush would be the best way to do this..my hoses don't leak so I decided to not break the "seal" to do a rightful flush.

The ATF Fluid I got out of there was black as used motor oil...Had little flakes of residue too. I added back fresh fluid, gonna run that in and do it again. After the 2nd time I figure I'll have 80% new fluid (ATF) in the system.

One-of-these-days I'll dive in and do a complete flush..just didn't feel the urge today..

I am editing this...following post say that the FSM has a easy flush method for the 60...that's what Ill do when I get around to doing it.

Purpose of this post was not the tech to do it but just the surprise I had when I saw how bad my rig needed flushed..and my rig has been pretty over maintained. It's just something I let go for the last 4 years (less than 10K miles) the PO had put a new pump on in 95 or so..I don't think the fluid (ATF) has been serviced since except to add a little.

Might be something you want to look at sometime.

Last edited:
Yes ATF/Dextron...says it right on the reservoir...

I didn't even look at the FSM, I just read the article and went out there and did the easy out just to see what I had in there. I'll read up and get around to it sooner than later..

Hmmm. Mine's always clean - I'm constantly replenishing it ;P

I flushed mine using the FSM procedure when I bought it. Really made it smoother and slowed the leak way down. I think it had PS fluid in there. But then I replaced it anyway. The leak had eventually killed my motor mount.

Just flushed my 87 4Runner's pump. First time in 21 years. Nice and quiet now. The old fluid looked like mud.

Note: the new Toyota PS pump caps call for Power Steering Fluid - not ATF

attachment.php

Pablocruise

What do you mean by "new".. like a replacement ordered from Toyota? or do you mean like a fj cruiser?

So it's a new cap that says "power steering fluid" that goes on a power steering pump/reservoir that requires ATF fluid...

okay...I got it...

but it could say "yellow cake only" and we'd still use ATF fluid..right?

Or has toyota re-thought the ATF? Or is the new cap from a later pump, say for a 4 Runner, that uses Power steering fluid?

I've never been so confused? I should have just left my reservoir alone:crybaby:

If you read the cap it says "use Dextron type ATF" right under the Power Steering Fluid in fine print.

Dynosoar:zilla:
ps cap.JPG

mine leaked like crazy when i bought it a year ago. i started using the lucas product (which advertises that it will stop leaks) and it doesn't seem to leak anymore. it took a while for it to work but i just kept adding lucas and it hasn't leaked for several months. i also flipped the seal on the underside of the cap b/c it used to leak from there as well. other that being a bit stiff upon starting up it seems to be working well.

I purchased a brand new OEM pump about a year and a half ago, and it came with the original style cap. And yes, nothing but ATF in the PS system! I run Amsoil ATF in mine and it seems great.

Zack

If you read the cap it says "use Dextron type ATF" right under the Power Steering Fluid in fine print.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Hmm... Very interesting!

I think the original article that started this articel said you could use ATF in your PS system, but they recomended PS Fluid. I have been running PS fluid in my system...

Hmm... Very interesting!

I think the original article that started this articel said you could use ATF in your PS system, but they recomended PS Fluid. I have been running PS fluid in my system...

Yep I did use the words "Power steering fluid" my bad. I've always run what the books and labels on the equipment say run..in this case ATF. sorry if I screwed up the thread...I'm going to edit the first post. (the article I was reading that started all this was talking about US built rigs and they were talking about power steering fluid since the rig they were rehabbing used that..

HD

I run PS fluid in my stock box..

the difference between ATF and PS fluid is VERY small..

I run PS fluid in my stock box..

the difference between ATF and PS fluid is VERY small..

Well the old-timer that helped me fab my PS pump mount on the 40 said the old ATF would be fine, but not the ATF on the shelf these days. He said absolutley PS fluid due to diff ATF formulation...

Can someone post up the FSM "way" of doing a flush? This has been on my to do list for a bit and need to get it done right before Moab.

clint

Well the old-timer that helped me fab my PS pump mount on the 40 said the old ATF would be fine, but not the ATF on the shelf these days. He said absolutley PS fluid due to diff ATF formulation...

So would that mean that the ATF on the market would not be right for a fj62 transmission, that use to use the same as the power steering? I dunno but it's just a fluid running through a pump...does he think the new atf will deteriorate the seals? I'd bet vegetable fry oil would work if you changed it often enough

Not trying to start a argument, cause i don't know the answer..and it could make sense...it just doesn't?

Can someone post up the FSM "way" of doing a flush? This has been on my to do list for a bit and need to get it done right before Moab.

clint

https://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyo...ower-steering-fluid-pictures.html#post3065309

That's what I posted in the 79-95 forum. I did it the same way for the 60 as I did for the 4Runner. The only difference from the FSM is that the FSM says to stop and start the engine, but if you've got two people, you can just keep filling while your buddy keeps turning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom