Power steering fluid leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NMBound

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey dudes,

The power steering fluid in the 4th Gen was gnarly when I bought it in February. It's pretty dark and I planned on having it changed out.

Well we're working on the suspension this evening and notice this, what looks like a leak coming from the power steering system.

I have no experience in this area, but now's the time to learn. I'll hit up some old forum posts and YouTube videos to figure out what to do here. If anyone has any input I'll gladly take that as well.

20200702_214516.jpg

20200702_214452.jpg

Looks like either a hose is leaking or the seal around the shaft. I recently replaced the pump in the wife's GX it is pretty easy.

If you do end up replacing the pump get the new one from Toyota. I bought one from Oreilly's and it just quit making enough pressure in about 2 weeks so I exchanged it for another. The next one had a nice paint job, but the bearings were very worn and the shaft moved so much it couldn't seal. The third one never would quit making noise. I ordered one from Toyota and have not had any problems.

I need to do some work on my 3rd gen's steering as well. I did flush the fluid a bit ago.
Everything I know is for the 3rd gen, but should apply for the 4th.
You should use transmission fluid rather than power steering fluid, it tends to hold up better over time.
Also, when you flush it, there should be a screen in the reservoir that you can spray out.
I just used a can of brake cleaner and sprayed it from both sides after I took the reservoir off.
Other than that I got nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom