Power Steering Failure

Replaced my FJ60 power steering pump the other day because it was leaking badly and the front bearing was giving out. Everything was fine for about 3 days, but now I have no power steering. No leaks, no slipping belt, plenty of fluid. Should I suspect the new pump or could it be something else? Any way to test a pump?
Thanks,
Ted

What did you replace it with?
NAPA? OEM?
If it was working well for three days, I assume you bled it correctly, etc.
If the levels are ok and belt is running and there are no leaks, I assume you did not get an OEM pump and it is in fact the pump.

It was a rebuilt unit. Worked great for 3 days! I suspect the pump, but didn't think one would fail internally without any warning. Anyone know how to test the pump or system?

How do you bleed the power steering pump? Let the cap off and turn right and left for awhile?

D'Animal

Rescuer of Beagles & Landcruisers
Inside the pump, an "O" ring could have torn and now the pressue is bypassed adn is recirculation inside the pump.

keep bleeding the system. Jack the front up, and keep turning the wheel. I had to do it a few time over acoule of weeks. I had EXACTLY the same problem, couldnt figure it out. this is, of course, after three after market pumps in as many days, until i got a re-build OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom