Power steering failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mudders...
I have a '91 FJ80 with 2.5'' OME lift kit that i just bought in California. Drove it cross country to Savannah, GA without any issues. It has 197k original mileage and not a lick of rust. One day it died on me while driving. Troubleshooted it and turned out to be the Ignition Coil went bad. Easy replacement. Now the power steering is going nuts. First, it would whine and be real stiff until warmed up and then after shutting the vehicle down, the stiffness and whine would go away. I noticed a leak near the steering box coming down the frame. I picked up some Lucas power steering fluid thinking that it might help, now it whines and is stiffer then before. It doesn't whine when the steering is stiff but as soon as the power steering kicks in, she's screaming at me. I replaced the return line to the reservoir because it had fluid build up. I also bought a high pressure line but now I'm thinking that maybe it's the O ring in the steering gear box. The leak is coming from under the box and dripping down the frame. Would really appreciate some help and insight into what the issue might be before replacing the PSP or removing and rebuilding the steering box.

I appreciate your help!

Trevor

Assuming the pipes are tight then the steering box has an issue, the noise you hear is the pump trying to pump air.

A quick get you out of trouble is top up with about a 1/4 cup of brake fluid, the leak will stop after a few miles.

Regards

Dave

Assuming the pipes are tight then the steering box has an issue, the noise you hear is the pump trying to pump air.

A quick get you out of trouble is top up with about a 1/4 cup of brake fluid, the leak will stop after a few miles.

Regards

Dave
Thanks Dave. Will the pump go bad if the box isn't replaced or rebuilt soon?

Thanks Dave. Will the pump go bad if the box isn't replaced or rebuilt soon?
If it runs dry most certainly, a little air will not do any harm, try not to steer when stationary, a bad habit since power steering became the norm.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom