Power Steering Coversion Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at having a mechanic install power steering on my 1970 FJ40. I want a kit that comes with all the parts so that the mechanic has to do the least amount of improv fabricating. I see the one that jtoutfitters.com has for $399 does anyone know about this one?

Also if anyone knows a good mechanic in the Dallas area that would help alot.

Thanks!

I have yet to ever see a “kit”, especially for 399.00us, that would include everything to install power steering onto a 40 series, no matter what year or how the truck is configured.

Hit the FAQ, start reading, and start collecting parts.

Hit the clubhouse section and meet up with some folks from TX.

Here is another kit I would buy before the one from JTOutfitters.

Classic Cruisers

Good Luck on finding a kit for the price you listed.

Get the jt outfitters craptastic kit and call it a day

Bob at www.tpi4x4.com can get you set up with a decent kit. Pass on his mounting bracket and get one of the WDorry brackets from Orangefj45. You'll save alot of headaches but not alot of money buying these kits.

If I were to do it all over again I would study John Smith's thread (parts list and part numbers) and just gatther the parts myself.

Good Luck..

X2 on the Orangefj45 kit. That's my plan. Whole kit for $650 and then do it yourself so you know how it works.

X2 on the Orangefj45 kit. That's my plan. Whole kit for $650 and then do it yourself so you know how it works.

Well if Georg (Orangefj45) has a kit I would go that route as he is a stand up MUD member. You can get some detailed instructions mailed to you from Downey if you send him a PM.

Bob at www.tpi4x4.com can get you set up with a decent kit. Pass on his mounting bracket and get one of the WDorry brackets from Orangefj45. You'll save alot of headaches but not alot of money buying these kits.

If I were to do it all over again I would study John Smith's thread (parts list and part numbers) and just gatther the parts myself.

Good Luck..

Well if Georg (Orangefj45) has a kit I would go that route as he is a stand up MUD member. You can get some detailed instructions mailed to you from Downey if you send him a PM.

Sig says he has a 302 in the truck...

How is that Dorry bracket going to install on that engine?

Here is another kit I would buy before the one from JTOutfitters.

Classic Cruisers

Good Luck on finding a kit for the price you listed.

I did this kit like 4 years ago no problems at all It was very EZ to install and works well for a mostly street driven 40 with 10.5 X 33" tires.

Next time I might go with a Saginaw or fj60 power steering

Sig says he has a 302 in the truck...

How is that Dorry bracket going to install on that engine?

Good point! I missed that part.:whoops:

Thanks for all the great info.

How hard is it to install one of these kits. I think I could handle everything except for any welding and possible messing with the steering column(if needed).

I am just afraid it is something that I would start and then end up taking 3 or 4 weekends to complete when I could have a professional do it right in one day and spend those weekends doing some of the other things I need to get done.

Again, Thanks for the help.

Thanks for all the great info.

How hard is it to install one of these kits. I think I could handle everything except for any welding and possible messing with the steering column(if needed).

I am just afraid it is something that I would start and then end up taking 3 or 4 weekends to complete when I could have a professional do it right in one day and spend those weekends doing some of the other things I need to get done.

Again, Thanks for the help.

I found removing the rivits on the existing steering box mounting bracket the most time consuming task that was required for this conversion.

Re: parts

sorry to HIJACK, but the eBay lister above has over 75 parts trucks that he is parting out. this is just for your info.

x2 on what bsevans said,

I did not expect that part of the project to take that long.

2 cheap drill bits, a sledgehammer, and alot of cursing, and it eventually got done....

After that, it was smooth sailing. pretty simple install actually.

Next time I might go with a Saginaw or fj60 power steering

What are the pros and cons of using a Toyota box or using a Saginaw set up.
It just seems a lot of people are saying go with the Saginaw set up. When i feel like it is easier and cheaper to get a steering box from a 79-85 toyota in the junk yard and buy the JT kit for 400.

Has someone tried both set ups?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom