Power Steering Cooler Size vs. Hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently installed a mini-truck power steering box with with OEM style pump from City Racer on my 1983 2F. I also purchased a reproduction oil cooler from Classic Tube. During the install, my shop advised that because the low-pressure hose size is 3/8, and the cooler diameter is 5/16, it shouldn't be installed so as not to restrict flow. Have any of you heard of this concern before, or is a cooler even necessary?

PS fluid gets hot just like any other fluid. Once too hot, it will cause damage. Always have some type of cooler. The PS components will last longer and so will the fluid. As for the size differences, not sure whats going on but make sure they get the cooler hooked up. The cooler tubes should be a 3/8" ish 10mm tube, not 5/16. So that will have to be swapped. Use gates 11/32 oil cooler hose for the cooler low pressure side with OEM clamps. We have a cooler kit for the 40 series that mounts in front of the radiator, In case you need to go that route give us a call

Justin

Thanks Justin for the response. So are you advising that if I could have a tube bent in 3/8, that would be the correct, and closest to OEM size?

I've looked at those also. Was hoping to go OEM as much as possible, but function more important. I'm only running 31" tires and don't think it will ever get bigger. 33" at the most. Where do you have your cooler located? Inside fender?

Look for a finned type cooler. Are you using this off road with larger tires? The bigger the cooler the better, it will also add volume of fluid to the system to help even more.

I use ones like this:Performance Steering Components PSC CK100-6: Heat Sink Fluid Cooler Kit | JEGS

2nd on the finned type cooler

sometime modern update's technology supersedes the one from the 1979 design ......:wrench:

so in this case it does, and over rules the OEM look , in my opinion

the finned cooler hides well in front of the RED assy behind your BIB / Grill mesh assy any way so , your friends will never know .......... :cool:

Thanks Justin for the response. So are you advising that if I could have a tube bent in 3/8, that would be the correct, and closest to OEM size?

Yes, 3/8" steel "barb fitting" size or "tube" will do you great! Use 11/32" hayden oil hose and OEM PS clamps!

Or this> Red Line 40 series PS cooler kit

Justin

I made my own tubing-style PS cooler (mounted on the inner fender behind the DS headlight) for my minitruck conversion and it has been on my FJ40 since the mid-1990s. I run 33x9.5s and have never had a boost or a fluid-overheat condition. I have changed the fluid a few times and it always looks good. I bought a 4' piece of steel fuel line and cut off the ends and bent it into an oval - I'm sure it's not 3/8" dia. The reason I liked tubing (per the OE style) is that I feel it is more durable than a finned cooler.

I should remake my design with large dia. tubing, per this discussion, but it hasn't been fatal so far to the fluid or components.

I installed a PS cooler to my 40. Used thick steel bar as a bracket and insulated cable clamps to attach the cooler to the bracket. It is very solid.
Trim back the radiator shrouding a bit in the lower corner to accommodate the hoses. Use press on welting to protect the hose from the radiator shrouding.
I found factory formed 3/8" ID PS return hose on Amazon that had a long straight section and a 90 degree bend that I could cut to fit. Added a magnetic filter as well.
IMG_0510 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0513 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom