Power Steering Cooler Rubber Hoses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just started to replace the leaking power steering pump on my 96 along with the pressure line hose and larger reservoir hose.

I didn't think of replacing the two power steering cooler line hoses (10mm I think)

I know they are at the 25 year mark which makes them pretty old. Can they last another 10 years or is it time to replace them as well since I'm already in there.

Are they formed hoses or can I get standard Toyota 10mm transmission cooler line hose as a good replacement?

Also, I notice two of the splash guards inside the fender have fallen off. Is there an aftermarket replacement for these? I like to keep the dirt out of the engine.

The cooler hoses can be replaced with standard hoses/tubing, as long as they're ATF compatible. You don't want the hose material in your transmission.
Front Fender, Apron & Dash Panel
It looks like all three pieces will set you back $50 + shipping. I'd check domestically too; prices may be higher per piece, but shipping would likely be less.

Thanks for the info. That helps a lot.

I completed the work on the pump and it all went back together nicely with the new high pressure hose and return hose.

I also flushed all the old dirty oil out and used some Mobil DTE 24 ISO VG 32 oil I had left over from a dump trailer project I built a few years ago. It claimed to be a light hydraulic oil and I decided to try it.

ISO32.png

After I got all the air out of the system by running the steering wheel from lock-to-lock 20 times, I found the steering was as good as ever but there is a small amount of whine coming from the pump. Not much but now that I am fixated on it, I hear it.

I wonder if this is coming from the gear on the pump not meshing will the gear inside the engine although I pounded it on there pretty good and it looked correctly seated; or possibly the ISO oil not being exactly the right viscosity for the system.

I should mention the 80 is my wife's and is clean, well tuned, bone stock and still doing duty as a family hauler so it does run pretty smooth and quiet under the hood to where you hear a new noise if you have one.

The soft power steering lines (two smaller lines and one larger) can be replaced with 3/8” and 5/8” bulk PS hose. Some have had decent luck with 3/8” transmission oil cooler hose, but I’ve always found it to fit differently, in one instance resulting in the hose blowing off the barb at higher rpm. PS hose seems to fit more snug.

Over time, the lines get hard, begin to crack and fall apart, then fail. I’ve taken a couple of them off by breaking them apart like sticks.

We’ve put DTE 24 in several trucks and never had an issue with noise. A problem with the gear would typically cause chatter (especially if the gear teeth are marred), but groaning is typically cavitation, brought on by air getting into the system. On mine it was the o ring for the input barb on the pump.

Air in the system could be an issue. If I am getting air in as the pump runs, would I see bubbles in the fluid in the reservoir when I turn off the engine or would the air be trapped somewhere else in the system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom