Power Steering Cooler Mods? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
During a shakedown run this weekend I noticed my steering box and PS pump are heating up quite a bit. There was a long run of rocks near the end of the day and the PS started to wine a bit due to overheating (from my assumption).

Anyone have any PS cooler mods I can check out? Pics, kits, etc?

Thanks.

I used a tundra transmission cooler. There are several writeups on here if you search.

I have the same JEGS cooler as OTAMIWAY and I bought the Appleton reservoir a long time ago but never found the time to install it.
fittings2.jpg

I have the same JEGS cooler as OTAMIWAY and I bought the Appleton reservoir a long time ago but never found the time to install it.

where did you get that filter set up?

where did you get that filter set up?

Appleton Rack & Pinion, Inc.

A mounting tab needs to be manufactured. I bought a used reservoir and had one made out of steel to replicate it.

The filter is a standard Toyota oil filter and the fittings are both AN fittings from Aeroquip.

Figured if it was good enough to be approved by Nascar it might be ok in the LX :D

Actually I got because I want to go hydraulic winch eventually, when I'm less gimpy.

Appleton Rack & Pinion, Inc.

A mounting tab needs to be manufactured. I bought a used reservoir and had one made out of steel to replicate it.

The filter is a standard Toyota oil filter and the fittings are both AN fittings from Aeroquip.

Figured if it was good enough to be approved by Nascar it might be ok in the LX :D

Actually I got because I want to go hydraulic winch eventually, when I'm less gimpy.

is yours the 4 inch? which toyota filter did you use for that thing?

Any pics of this cooler mounted and lined? Looks like the route I want to take.

Thanks!

Here you go, I hope this help.

Stu
PS_Cooler.jpg

Nice spot! Any estimate on how much extra fluid is in the system with that? Do you have a temp gauge hooked up to it? Did you have custom lines made or did they come as part of a kit?

Sorry for all the questions....I'm lazy and don't feel like searching right now....

:)

I ran a single line all the way back to the reservoir. I picked up a double ended barb fitting to connect the other line from the power steering unit. Protected both lines with a split 1 inch rubber hose where they pass through the frame like the metal one did.

Perfect. Thanks for the help!

More pics mang.
Please

Filter Location

I ended up using a B&M tranny cooler. I mounted it behind the stock tranny cooler so I could still add the JDM fan on the other side. It fit perfectly and I ran lines to it with the plan to plumb hard lines eventually even though the rubber lines are working just fine.

In response to Post #14

Any idea if a second Tranny cooler could be used for power steering cooler? I'm thinking of running my PS lines through another tranny cooler unit I have and mounting it in front of the radiator next to the actual tranny cooler. Anyone know if this has been done or can be? I am a little concerned about heat blockage to the radiator and or if the unit will even work for this function/purpose.

Liquidman, what you are intending to do has been done many times without ill effects...

Liquidman, what you are intending to do has been done many times without ill effects...

Super! I didn't think there would be any concern, but worth getting a second opinion on. Thanks for the quick response! Another reason why I love this site. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom