Power Steering Converted …need some input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A cooler isnt mandatory but it’s a good idea, in addition to cooling it adds more fluid capacity to the system.

I’m sure that a p/s filter wouldn’t be a bad idea also. I’ve not seen someone add them on conversions… but I do have one on my old Ambo. I’m sure it would help protect the expensive steering box.

Not a bad idea. There Is room… all low pressure side

Just thinking out loud…here is a question.

‘how terrible is it to utilize a 3 piece collapsing steering shaft? 3/4 at the steering gear box… 1” next then a 3/4” and u-joint going to the steering column

Just thinking out loud…here is a question.

‘how terrible is it to utilize a 3 piece collapsing steering shaft? 3/4 at the steering gear box… 1” next then a 3/4” and u-joint going to the steering column

Not a direct answer to you question but more of pointing you in a direction where you'll be able to answer your own question. Download the Borgeson catalog, toward the back there are several guides to building steering systems. It is only 36 pages and has a lot of useful info.

Ps filter we use a lot
Raybestos 515554 Magnetic Inline Filter (3/8") https://a.co/d/7fzCGMO
Avail elsewhere under different name brands.
Power steering cooler, Ford Taurus transmission cooler works great. If the pump is on the drivers side it is easy to instal on the drivers fender.
Find a Taurus or something similar in junkyard where the front bumper was removed in the wreck. Takes 3 min to pull, if the bumper is still intact keep walking.

16543840225898358833441656230115.jpg

Banner day…had all the parts and the temp was 74 with 45% humidity….big motivation. The Steering shaft from the steering wheel to the rag joint had no bearing or shaft support at the firewall and every bounce and jog transmitted the sloppysteering bumps to the steering wheel. Additionally the looseness of the rag joint was dangerous. Got it all disconnected.

The “ bearing” used in the steering column turns out to be a pvc hose barb coupler cut in half and zip tied to hold the two halves together. in the interest of accuracy, I took the column out and cut the rag joint, shaped the “D” parts onto the shaft and shined up the balance of the shaft to accommodate the flange bearing at the firewall. Slipped on the rubber plug into the column and bolted it all back in after insuring the correct placement of the u-joint and drilling the detents into the shaft….

seems like it went like clockwork all due to the explanations and suggestions from you all… got it all back together, took it for a test,…HAPPY!!!
B413BCF1-EE3E-4E60-81C1-A66377ADC114.jpeg
7635162A-FEDA-4F80-BC04-E4FA304D8493.jpeg
DDCBC924-76A7-4B86-BA81-D24825EDCD0F.jpeg
073FEB3B-EDF7-4E24-BD01-C7E3B097078D.jpeg
4755A508-06FD-4E6B-9719-9DF49A43ADB3.jpeg
BCEEEDEA-6663-40D3-87A3-79CD247F02BB.jpeg
024C06F3-74F1-4D71-8ACE-80C2E846DC8B.jpeg
8DBE23D7-0536-4646-8752-A3FB70C0B7CB.jpeg

Banner day…had all the parts and the temp was 74 with 45% humidity….big motivation. The Steering shaft from the steering wheel to the rag joint had no bearing or shaft support at the firewall and every bounce and jog transmitted the sloppysteering bumps to the steering wheel. Additionally the looseness of the rag joint was dangerous. Got it all disconnected.

The “ bearing” used in the steering column turns out to be a pvc hose barb coupler cut in half and zip tied to hold the two halves together. in the interest of accuracy, I took the column out and cut the rag joint, shaped the “D” parts onto the shaft and shined up the balance of the shaft to accommodate the flange bearing at the firewall. Slipped on the rubber plug into the column and bolted it all back in after insuring the correct placement of the u-joint and drilling the detents into the shaft….

seems like it went like clockwork all due to the explanations and suggestions from you all… got it all back together, took it for a test,…HAPPY!!!
View attachment 3026309View attachment 3026310View attachment 3026312View attachment 3026313View attachment 3026314View attachment 3026315View attachment 3026316View attachment 3026317

Looks so much better… I’d imagine it would work better too.

It is so much more secure and firm. By firm I mean it is not like a fork in a giant bowl of spaghetti but has a better solid feel. Like my chevy pickup. It also does not transmit all of those little back and forth jolts to the steering wheel. Worth all the time spent writing to you guys and looking up parts needed. 2 weeks to learn about it and get parts, 4 hours to dismantle and re-install.

Congrats! Good job. We appreciate when the original poster of the thread confirms the info provided and gives updates.

Does it have a slip in the shaft anywhere now ? IT needs one.

Once you have everything dialed in pull each lock pin holding the column together and red loctight them please. I can tell you it is not cool when the steering wheel loses communication to the box. Luckily I was only going 5mph when it happened to me.

Does it have a slip in the shaft anywhere now ? IT needs one.
Yep…collapsible shaft and red loctite when I finished it…none on it when I took it apart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom