Power steering conversion

I'm hoping this has been covered before. I have looked thru old posts with no luck. I have a 67 FJ40 with a chevy 283. I am looking to do a power steering swap from the original saginaw manual. Does anyone have any thoughts or resources to point me to to try and figure this out?

I don't have it with me right now. I'll post some pics in a couple of days.
So here are some pics of what I have currently

Cruiser pic 1.jpg

Cruiser pic 2.jpg

Cruiser pic 3.jpg

Cruiser pic 4.jpg

Looks like your PTO winch has already been moved a little to the right. Think a larger power steering box would cause even more customization to keep the winch.

knuckle47

SILVER Star
Well…. Perfect timing for me at least…. My FJ40 was converted when I got it and I have that same steering shaft setup And it does not inspire confidence. It appears to have a 20 or 30 degree offset and if I were to grasp the lower shaft section, I can shake it about 1/4” of movement. The truck drives well, power steering performs well but anything that has that kind of free play just bothers me. I am looking to replace it but not completely sure as I have little power steering experience mechanically. I sure it is basic mechanics and assembly.

can I ask you all for a source of a complete and reliable system or….. I can happily go back to standard steering. Looking forward to your suggestions

@Gnoon what have you decided?

Well…. Perfect timing for me at least…. My FJ40 was converted when I got it and I have that same steering shaft setup And it does not inspire confidence. It appears to have a 20 or 30 degree offset and if I were to grasp the lower shaft section, I can shake it about 1/4” of movement. The truck drives well, power steering performs well but anything that has that kind of free play just bothers me. I am looking to replace it but not completely sure as I have little power steering experience mechanically. I sure it is basic mechanics and assembly.

can I ask you all for a source of a complete and reliable system or….. I can happily go back to standard steering. Looking forward to your suggestions

I haven't decided yet, need to do some more looking. I have way too much slop in the steering though so gonna have to do something.

If your issue is the steering shaft I’d highly recommend a Flaming River DD slip shaft, 3/4 DD-1”DD U-joint (to join to steering column), and 3/4 DD-____splined U-joint (to connect the slip shaft to your steering box).

I believe my Scout II was 13/16” splines, but it was years ago that I ordered it. The size of my input shaft is irrelevant… you’d need one to match the steering you’ll be using. At first I thought mine wasn’t the right size because I couldn’t get it to slide on. After cleaning the input shaft for a bit with a wire brush I found it was just because of the tight tolerances the U-joint was machined to. Despite having just removed the rag joint, the U-joint wouldn’t fit… it was that tight a fit.

The steering feels completely stock. No wines, or other noises… just like it came that way. I’ve quickly forgotten how much effort it used to take. It doesn’t feel light or wander. It’s not till I stop to think about it that I realize it’ll turn the 33x10.50s, while stationary, on dry pavement with a single finger in the spokes of the steering wheel… or palm on the smooth wheel.

I have details and photos in my build thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom