Power steering conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hoping this has been covered before. I have looked thru old posts with no luck. I have a 67 FJ40 with a chevy 283. I am looking to do a power steering swap from the original saginaw manual. Does anyone have any thoughts or resources to point me to to try and figure this out?

I guessing someone adapted a manual sag steering box to your 40? Can you post pics of your setup?

I don't have it with me right now. I'll post some pics in a couple of days.
So here are some pics of what I have currently

Cruiser pic 1.jpg

Cruiser pic 2.jpg

Cruiser pic 3.jpg

Cruiser pic 4.jpg

Looks like your PTO winch has already been moved a little to the right. Think a larger power steering box would cause even more customization to keep the winch.

I'd remove everything. The steering shaft is pretty hack. You might consider a fj60,80, scout box conversion. It probably won't interfere with the winch.
20211130_182425.jpg

I'd remove everything. The steering shaft is pretty hack. You might consider a fj60,80, scout box conversion. It probably won't interfere with the winch.
View attachment 3016789
X2

The easiest part of a Scout II conversion was mounting the box. Hardest, honestly, was pump brackets to work with a SBC that also has an A/C pump as a compressor.
C14AD08E-D305-4301-B39C-0A7BDB7EEE23.jpeg
81A89951-B27A-4044-96F8-5D31A014B95C.jpeg
B9378E08-0938-4BC9-97AC-50C901240EDF.jpeg
DA7F0128-5231-44C4-B128-3BAE1D9BB254.jpeg
88FC5699-3E43-437E-9DC3-FBA2B2DD3446.jpeg

That's a scout box. A 60 and 80 box set up is similar. Scouts are getting scarce, 60's are getting old. There's a ton of info using the search function.

20180506_141106.jpg

20180506_141054.jpg

Well…. Perfect timing for me at least…. My FJ40 was converted when I got it and I have that same steering shaft setup And it does not inspire confidence. It appears to have a 20 or 30 degree offset and if I were to grasp the lower shaft section, I can shake it about 1/4” of movement. The truck drives well, power steering performs well but anything that has that kind of free play just bothers me. I am looking to replace it but not completely sure as I have little power steering experience mechanically. I sure it is basic mechanics and assembly.

can I ask you all for a source of a complete and reliable system or….. I can happily go back to standard steering. Looking forward to your suggestions

@Gnoon what have you decided?

Well…. Perfect timing for me at least…. My FJ40 was converted when I got it and I have that same steering shaft setup And it does not inspire confidence. It appears to have a 20 or 30 degree offset and if I were to grasp the lower shaft section, I can shake it about 1/4” of movement. The truck drives well, power steering performs well but anything that has that kind of free play just bothers me. I am looking to replace it but not completely sure as I have little power steering experience mechanically. I sure it is basic mechanics and assembly.

can I ask you all for a source of a complete and reliable system or….. I can happily go back to standard steering. Looking forward to your suggestions

I haven't decided yet, need to do some more looking. I have way too much slop in the steering though so gonna have to do something.

If your issue is the steering shaft I’d highly recommend a Flaming River DD slip shaft, 3/4 DD-1”DD U-joint (to join to steering column), and 3/4 DD-____splined U-joint (to connect the slip shaft to your steering box).

I believe my Scout II was 13/16” splines, but it was years ago that I ordered it. The size of my input shaft is irrelevant… you’d need one to match the steering you’ll be using. At first I thought mine wasn’t the right size because I couldn’t get it to slide on. After cleaning the input shaft for a bit with a wire brush I found it was just because of the tight tolerances the U-joint was machined to. Despite having just removed the rag joint, the U-joint wouldn’t fit… it was that tight a fit.

The steering feels completely stock. No wines, or other noises… just like it came that way. I’ve quickly forgotten how much effort it used to take. It doesn’t feel light or wander. It’s not till I stop to think about it that I realize it’ll turn the 33x10.50s, while stationary, on dry pavement with a single finger in the spokes of the steering wheel… or palm on the smooth wheel.

I have details and photos in my build thread.

@bikersmurf thanks…this sound ideal… it is 7:15am and I have already been in contact with them regarding this issue…. Waiting to hear

If your issue is the steering shaft I’d highly recommend a Flaming River DD slip shaft, 3/4 DD-1”DD U-joint (to join to steering column), and 3/4 DD-____splined U-joint (to connect the slip shaft to your steering box).

I believe my Scout II was 13/16” splines, but it was years ago that I ordered it. The size of my input shaft is irrelevant… you’d need one to match the steering you’ll be using. At first I thought mine wasn’t the right size because I couldn’t get it to slide on. After cleaning the input shaft for a bit with a wire brush I found it was just because of the tight tolerances the U-joint was machined to. Despite having just removed the rag joint, the U-joint wouldn’t fit… it was that tight a fit.

The steering feels completely stock. No wines, or other noises… just like it came that way. I’ve quickly forgotten how much effort it used to take. It doesn’t feel light or wander. It’s not till I stop to think about it that I realize it’ll turn the 33x10.50s, while stationary, on dry pavement with a single finger in the spokes of the steering wheel… or palm on the smooth wheel.

I have details and photos in my build thread.
Sorry, been away from this for awhile. Where can I find a link to your build thread?

Under my post in the signature line. If you’re on a Mobile device you’ll need to turn it sideways… :D

I will be doing a power steering conversion when I pull my current engine. Are there any disadvantages to using an FJ80 steering box? The engine I'll be putting is out of a '93 FJ80, and it already has the pump and reservoir. I was thinking an FJ80 box might be easier to source. Would a Saginaw box be a better choice? If so, any suggestion on which one?

Sorry... not trying to hi-jack the thread. Just figured it was old enough to ask a related question.

Last edited:
If I had an 80 box I’d run it. My guess is slightly less over boosted. Unless you want to run 37” tires, go for it.

I am currently planning on running 32” or 34” tires.

If I had an 80 box I’d run it. My guess is slightly less over boosted. Unless you want to run 37” tires, go for it.
I run 35’s and an 80 box. Works well for me on the road or trail. I might be able to push 37’s, but that seems like it would be the logical limit without assist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom