Power steering conversion: Retaining early original steering wheel and horn (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it possible to do a power steering conversion whilst retaining the early steering column? I would love to retain the look of the very early steering wheel with chrome horn center to keep it period. I do have a rare spare 40's power steering box if that helps.

I don't want a hack job for the linkages from column to box. It would not pass engineering here in Australia.

P1030864.JPG

Yes, I put in a Saginaw box and retained the original '68 steering wheel.

Got rid of the rag joint and put on a universal coupling going out to the Saginaw box at the front frame x-over.

Good luck...

Jerry D.

Is it possible to do a power steering conversion whilst retaining the early steering column?
I don't want a hack job for the linkages from column to box. It would not pass engineering here in Australia.

Describe "hack job". You will have to cut the column in order to mate it to a power steering box, even a 40 series power steering box. The problem with the older columns is that the steering shaft goes from the steering wheel all the way into, and is part of, the steering box. The options are to either cut the steering shaft/column and attach a u-joint, or source a later model steering column and put your older steering wheel on it.

I kept my stock column and attached it to a Scout steering box with 2 u-joints and a piece of DD steering shaft. Remember, you will need to brace the column at the firewall, as well as support the steering shaft within the column with a bearing or bushing. I bought both pieces to do this from Cruiser Outfitters - http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/powersteering.html. There is also nothing that keeps the steering shaft from sliding up an early column once you cut off the original steering box. I added a locking collar and washer to fix this. You can see it in the following picture.

20140116_152842.jpg

Good luck!

The end of the column can also be modified to accept a flange bearing similar to the method used for the late model columns. You can get the bearings with a lock collar and kill two birds with one stone. Borgeson has the U-joints and telescoping shaft for a nice install.

Hi all,

Finalpig, yes it is possible, and safe to do, but I am unsure whether it would pass road inspection in Australia (we don't have that here on the west coast USA.)

I would suggest doing some research, inquiring with both inspection stations and custom 4x4 shops to find out which PS conversions can pass your country's/state's road regulations.

Good luck,

Alan

Is it possible to do a power steering conversion whilst retaining the early steering column? I would love to retain the look of the very early steering wheel with chrome horn center to keep it period. I do have a rare spare 40's power steering box if that helps.

I used a small truck (Toyota) PS box and a FJ60 PS pump and kept everything original including the rag joint. See my sig link for the installation process.

full

Last edited:
yes, it can be done: start reading here the DSRTRDR is getting some TLC . . .

original plan was for a 60 series power steering box, but then ended up with one from an 80 series mounted in the same spot - some custom fabrication was required to mate the old-style steering column to the new box - everything inside the firewall is still the old column with old-style steering wheel

i can tell you that people have been doing that for over 40 years and there are some good writeups on here that cover that conversion good luck

I see how the steering box is part of the column. Do you have pictures of the bearing used and firewall bracket needed for this modification to maintain the integrity of the column? Saginaw box are hard to come by here. Anyone use the old column and connected it to a 60s box? I don't want to modify the shock tower.

I used a bronze bushing from Cruiser Outfitters. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of that. It is a press fit into the column and has a shoulder to keep it from sliding up. As I said before, I put a locking collar and washer on to keep the shaft from sliding up. The bushing is right behind the washer in the following picture.

20140121_055839.jpg

The firewall plate is a pretty simple piece.

20140121_055749.jpg

There is no reason why you couldn't attach the column to any gear box you desire. A 60 series box would be set up almost identical to my Scout set up. You will have to shave the rib on the back side of the shock tower to fit the box. I put 60 series power steering on my BJ42 and retained the stock shock towers, but that rib needs to go away. I doubt you lose much structural integrity by shaving that rib off.

This is the 60 series box install on my BJ42. The U-joint needs enough room to spin which is why the rib needs to go away.

IMG_20130128_135529.jpg

:cheers:

G'day Final Pig.

Have you achieved the conversion you wanted? I did the power steering conversion on my 1984 HJ47 using the stock column and wheel. I used a 60 series power steering box however I modified my shock tower which you have said you don't want to do. Others completing the conversion have replaced the stock shock towers with F250 shock towers. I had to get the base of the column splined by an engineering shop. This connects to a uni and then 75series intermediate shaft and then box. While I haven't had my conversion signed off by an engineer yet, the method that I used to do it has been used by many others who have had their conversion signed and mod plated by an engineer.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom