Power steering conversion recommendation for 67 FJ40 with V8 conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Power steering conversion recommendation for 67 FJ40 with V8 conversion needed. I have a Gen 3 V8 conversion and running 35" tires. Its a standard V8 conversion, but with the larger tires, its tiring to turn. Any PS conversion kits or tips are appreciated

4x4 Labs Sagniaw Conversion is probably the best available. You can pick up a 4 Bolt Saginaw box from a lot of places, but I personally would recommend a 4+ turn box for your setup. Some people hate them but I really like them.

2nd on the 4 turn box for good control and lack of twitchyness. You may be able to get a reman from Rock Auto for the appropriate GM product.

I'd recommend scout/fj60/80 steering. It's an easier and cleaner install and less evasive on the frame. I'm running a Scout box. They are getting scarce though.
20180318_233226_resized.jpg

X2 on the 60/80 series conversion. Wasn't very difficult to install and it handles 35's nicely on or off road. 👍

Just curious, how much cutting/ altering of the fender is needed for the 60/80 conversion?
I had to do my 1s scout conversion because the po hacked the frame rail so much I had to install a new frt crossmember and scab the left frame rail. The stress on the frame was pretty significant. In that conversion I just cut out the necessary sheet metal on the inner fender well to clearance for the box. Its still looks better than having the sag box out frt. On my 2nd conversion I didnt want to cut my new OEM fenders so I altered them.

20180307_213217_resized.jpg

20180307_213054_resized.jpg

I'll be bold and conditionally "suggest"* City Racer's @Racer65 electric steering setup. Much less intrusive, faster setup, but suitable for on road and light off road use only - not suitable for tires bigger than 35" or heavy wheeling.

*I cannot yet officially recommend as I've not installed yet, so YMMV.

I had to do my 1s scout conversion because the po hacked the frame rail so much I had to install a new frt crossmember and scab the left frame rail. The stress on the frame was pretty significant. In that conversion I just cut out the necessary sheet metal on the inner fender well to clearance for the box. Its still looks better than having the sag box out frt. On my 2nd conversion I didnt want to cut my new OEM fenders so I altered them.

View attachment 2658240

View attachment 2658241
I am planning on using the FJ80 steering box for my restomod bo my 78.

I would like to see more info on the FJ80 steering box conversion along w some detail pics and how to steps. @Well Sorted said they use an 80 box with a 60 Pitman arm.
You can look in the faq's and scroll down to steering or go to the tech links in the same section. Also use the search function and search scout and fj60 steering. The setups in principle are the same as it would be for the fj80 box. Everybody does it slightly different, whether your altering or moving the stk shock tower or adapting the ford tower, or scabing the outside of the frame or not.

Im lookimg now at the 4x4 Saginaw. What year/model 4 bolt steering box and pump should I be looking for? Remember, Ill be asking a counter person for the box..........

So what is a "4 turn box" Imagine you are parts counter person: I need as much part info as I can get to relay to the parts folks

What Pitman arm is used on with the FJ80 steering box?
I will depend on what steering arms I install on the FJ60 knuckles. If they are high steer I will need a flat pitman arm. Otherwise it will have the bends like the 80 or 60. Still have to figure it out using the FJ70 tie rod and relay rod.

I will depend on what steering arms I install on the FJ60 knuckles. If they are high steer I will need a flat pitman arm. Otherwise it will have the bends like the 80 or 60. Still have to figure it out using the FJ70 tie rod and relay rod.
I will follow along because I really don't like the way my 82 steers even after adding factory PS. A lot of effort went into sourcing all original factory parts to add factory PS. It is easy to steer, but it drives like early American land yacht.

I am using an 80 box with the stock 80 pitman arm. I am also using high steer arms and it all seems like it will work together fine. You have to look through my thread to capture the different parts of the steering build, they are spaced out through the build.

The steering starts on page 4 post #74.

I am using an 80 box with the stock 80 pitman arm. I am also using high steer arms and it all seems like it will work together fine. You have to look through my thread to capture the different parts of the steering build, they are spaced out through the build.

The steering starts on page 4 post #74.
I am planning on a 4" lift for my project and have been looking at the steering arms from Front Range and look similar to what you installed. I was told that SUA high steering arms were not needed. I want to know before I spend the money and have a poor set up.

Did you fabricate the mounting plate for the FJ80 steering box? I have the skill and experience but not the tooling to fabricate other then a welder and grinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom