Power steering conversion question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all
Just signed up to the forum. I have a 73 FJ40 with sbc . I am in the process of doing a saginaw ps conversion. I purchased a steering kit from Mark's Off Road. I have read several of the tech articles on the ps conversion, but have not found out how to use the bronze steering column bushing. Most of the articles I read use the the greasable bearing that is mouned in a plate. Could some one either direct me to an article showing the use of the bushing or explain how it mounts with the plain steel plate? Also seeing as how the usual ps pump block mounting holes are currently being used by the engine saddle mount, has anyone used the newer style pump and bracket that mounts to the head with any sucess?

Thanks
llih

Thanks I checked those out earlier. I didn't find one that used the bronze bushing and explained how it's supposed to be installed.

llih

The bronze bushing goes into the end of the column. It supports the steering shaft. You will have to weld a large fender washer onto the shaft to keep the bronze bushing in place.

ranger said:
The bronze bushing goes into the end of the column. It supports the steering shaft. You will have to weld a large fender washer onto the shaft to keep the bronze bushing in place.

Ranger has it correct! The bushinng slides inside of the steering column and holds the steering shaft in place. When Warden's was in business he used a teflon bushing that did the same thing. Your correct, most just use the 4 bolt bearing, 3/4" I think, for the same thing. I have the teflon bushing on my 73, works just fine.

Thanks all
What the heck is plate with the oval slot for? Does it weld to the firewall to keep the bushing in place? Also has anyone fabricated a ps pump bracket for those that use the old style saddle chevy engine mount?
Thanks Much
llih

Check with Mark at Mark's Offroad where you bought the kit. He's very nice and easy to deal with.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom