Power Steering conversion for 40 w/ V-8 engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got Cruiser?

Land Cruiser Apparel
Threads
Website
www.gotcuiser.com
I've searched the forum for power steering conversion for my 40 but my situation is a bit different.

I have a 75 FJ40 with GM V8 crate engine. It has manual steering. I want to either put the mini truck power steering converion or saginaw power steering. I'm not sure which route to go. I am running 33 inch tires with 15 x 8 rims.

Any thread or link about this is greatly appreciated.

4x4 Labs has an awesome kit that I used for mine. A lot of people on here have Luke's stuff actually. I got my steering gear from Straight Line Steering in San Jose, Ca. If you want to source your own, find one from a 67-69 impala. It has a four bolt mount not three. I also got ahold of a Borgeson Steering shaft and U-joints. I had to use a heim to get around my headers. hope that helps.

NoFJyet,

thanks for the input. i'll check into it. Bret also mentioned FJ60 power steering option. I know that it will require some work but i am looking into the best solution and effective way of doing it.
Howdy! Hey, Garie, why didn't you bring that on the last run to CK? Anyway, the "4 bolt" saginaws were in a lot of years and models of full sized GM sedans. Mine is from a 77 Chevy Caprice. Pumps & brackets are even more common, as the truck stuff works for that also. Just need to match whether you are running older V belts or werpentines. John

On your v-8, if you are using over the frame headers, you can't use the mini truck ps conversion. the #5 tube does not clear the return line on the steering box.

[Howdy! Hey, Garie, why didn't you bring that on the last run to CK? Anyway, the "4 bolt" saginaws were in a lot of years and models of full sized GM sedans. Mine is from a 77 Chevy Caprice. Pumps & brackets are even more common, as the truck stuff works for that also. Just need to match whether you are running older V belts or werpentines. John]

John,

I just bought this 40 last Monday from Paradise Valley. The cruiser spent most of its life in Northern Arizona. The previous owner put in a CRATE V8 engine, with Aussie 5-speed overdrive tranny and split transfer case. I'll check into your suggestion. Thanks.

I used the astro van box because I am not doing rock crawling and the 3 bolt is plent strong. I didn't like the look of the saginaw box sticking out in front of the front cross member. I bought most of my parts from ebay. I did a lot of searching on the internet and could not find one single good write up on the astro van conversion, like model years, part numbers, etc. I pieced it together over time using several sources, it was a fun project. I have a 73 40 with V8 and use the ram horn exhaust manifolds. Power steering is sweet no mater what direction you go. (No pun intended)

Snakesource,

I decided to go with the signaw conversion do to my experience with signaw. You can more than likely locate a signaw box cheaper than a toy box as well. Go to www.car-part.com and look up a 67-68 impala - I bought mine and had it shipped for $45.00 and in good shape. If you are interested in the signaw you need to buy the kits or have some parts made yourself. I had some plate cut for my box and just cut the inside part of the frame out so I can weld the new plate in. If you are interested e-mail me tomorrow and I'll forward you the design on the plate. They have a plate design in the tech part of the site but it doesn't print correctly.

Let me know if I can gine you more info.

The Sedan saginaw works fine but a J-20 Saginaw has the same bolt pattern and physical shape and puts out more steering power at the same hydraulic pressure due to the larger piston. It is also available in both of the common steering shaft spline counts...

FYI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom