Power Steering conversion FJ40 Mini truck column adapter question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All..... I'm sure this has been covered before, but I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for. I have a 12/1970 40 series and I'm using the JT Outfitters adapter and rag joint for the column. My question is, once we cut back the outer column to weld on the JT adapter, do we need to put a bushing or bearing between the inner and outer column to keep the outer column centered on the inner column? or do we just trim it so the outer column slides back down over the jt adapter?

We don't have it apart yet, just trying to have all the parts in place we need when we cut the column.

If anyone has installed adapter photos, that would be awesome!

do we need to put a bushing or bearing between the inner and outer column to keep the outer column centered on the inner column?

I would. I suspect a bearing shop could set you up with something that has the correct OD and ID - or close. Since it's not a high speed application, if you had to install some shim stock around either the OD of the shaft, or the bearing, it wouldn't hurt.

Can JT Outfitters provide any guidance?

Yes, you want a bushing or bearing in the end of the column to support the shaft. Surprised the JTO kit didn't have one.
Kurt may have them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom