Power Steering... Column Mods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.outerlimitsupply.com
Anybody out there care to share, post pictures, of their pre-'73 FJ40 power steering set up. I'm most interested in the modifications to the steering column. My rig is a '64 w/ a 2F and the plan is to use a '76 steering column, mini truck gear box, and stock 2F Toyota pump/res. I'm staying SUA but will be doing a shackle reversal soon and running 33". Before some body points my to the FAQ, I'm not asking "how to do it", I'm more interested in the different variations/modifications and what works best.

Unless your 2F is from a 79 or later it won't have the threaded holes in the block to just bolt a stock 2F power steering pump on this much I know. As far as the column I have never done it so no help there. I'm am concidering the mini truck power steering in my 68 so I will be watching this thread to see what has been done.

Fast Eddy, Thanks for clarifying... The firewall was what I meant. The 2F is a 1986 and came with all of the power steering equipment attached.

The splined end of a '76 column should plug right into the splined end of the minitruck PS box coupler.
If your '73 firewall is configured for the older style shaft-and-box combo unit, then you will have to mount the new column to the firewall.

All you need to fab is the pedestal for the box, and a cooler line (use a 4' piece of brake line for this).

I have run a minitruck setup for 15 years on my '78 and it has little play (in spite of using all the factory parts) and works great with 33x9.5s. They rub a little bit on the drag link, but I can deal with it. I plan to do a minitruck conversion on my 1980 FJ soon.

Spoke with Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters and he has the pre-fabbed plate for the early steering column. Looks like all I need is this plate, a rag joint adapter, gear box pedistal, mini gear box, fluid lines, and p/s cooler. Since I switching to a floor shift I've been told that I can actually use my existing steering column. Anybody see anything that I'm missing? What do you guys think?

I'm about ready to do just that, however, I know that as soon as it is in I'm heading to the hills!!! Therefore, I've decided to finish my cage and get the seatbelts in first. Then the engine swap (2F mentioned), power steering addition, and HILLS!!! I'll do the body work later but will post pictures!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom