Power steering can't steer with front lockers engaged (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
upnover.shutterfly.com
I recently installed front and rear TJM air lockers in my 1991 HDJ81 Land Cruiser. The truck has 35" tires, and drives down the road very well. I have noticed that sometimes when I am in high range and I am stopped or at low speed the steering will become very stiff. Today I put the truck into low range and engaged the front lockers and when I tried to turn the steering wheel it was nearly impossible.

When I disengaged the front locker the steering acted normally.

Obviously my steering pump is weak, and cannot deal with the combination of the larger tires and the front locker. Are there any stronger steering pumps that will work on my LC? Anyone know the part number for the factory pump? Does anyone make a steering improver kit for the factory pump? (The old Saginaw pumps could be modified for higher pressure).

Any help would be appreciated.

I have built rock crawlers for over 20 years and fully understand where and when to use lockers, and how they affect the vehicle dynamics. That being said, the steering is sometimes stiff at slow speed with the lockers disengaged and the transfer case in high range. To me, the pump is weak.

Any idea of the pressure generated by the stock steering pump?

I ordered a new pump on-line, and replaced it yesterday afternoon. The old oil was pretty dark and definitely needed to be changed. The old pump had a blue o-ring on the mounting flange (see photo) and the new o-ring is black. Anyone know why?

The only issue that I had with the new installation was that the new pump did not come with the copper washers for attaching the high pressure hose. I called every auto parts store in the area and nobody had the washers. In the end, I just lapped the existing washers and put them back on the truck. It worked. No leaks.

The steering now works great in low range with the TJM lockers engaged.

IMG_1870.jpeg

and the new o-ring is black. Anyone know why

Toyota often change their suppliers. I think its why some parts have different part numbers but look identical.
Those OEM pumps are a fairly tough pump, 35s wont scare them.

I ordered a new pump on-line, and replaced it yesterday afternoon. The old oil was pretty dark and definitely needed to be changed. The old pump had a blue o-ring on the mounting flange (see photo) and the new o-ring is black. Anyone know why?

The only issue that I had with the new installation was that the new pump did not come with the copper washers for attaching the high pressure hose. I called every auto parts store in the area and nobody had the washers. In the end, I just lapped the existing washers and put them back on the truck. It worked. No leaks.

The steering now works great in low range with the TJM lockers engaged.

View attachment 2272132
You don't lap copper sealing washers, you anneal them (heat to red, then quench) to soften them so that they deform when being tightened (and work harden) to provide a good seal.

You don't lap copper sealing washers, you anneal them (heat to red, then quench) to soften them so that they deform when being tightened (and work harden) to provide a good seal.
Make sense. I learned something today. Thanks.

Lapping them made nice flat surfaces, and I guess they were soft enough that they deformed and sealed properly. Just lucky, I guess.

Yes, you lucked out, a bit!
The copper work hardens after it's been "crushed" into a good seal on both surfaces.
As long as they are solid copper (not copper sheet rolled) they are reusable over and over, with just annealing.
I made a set of solid copper head gaskets for my old Guzzi, no more blown head gaskets on the road.... ever!

Yes, you lucked out, a bit!
The copper work hardens after it's been "crushed" into a good seal on both surfaces.
As long as they are solid copper (not copper sheet rolled) they are reusable over and over, with just annealing.
I made a set of solid copper head gaskets for my old Guzzi, no more blown head gaskets on the road.... ever!
that's a great bit of information! thanks!

If you are brave there is a plethora of sellers on Ebay selling replacement pumps for about $100. I was not that brave...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom