Power steering & brakes failed! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Approximately 2 years ago when descending a mountain in Arizona, on way back to Texas, I suddenly lost both steering and braking on my 97 fj80! Almost panicked! Had to use lower gears to descend safely. After arriving on level ground, at the base of the mountain, all the symptoms went away ! Then drove all the way back to Texas without a problem and haven't had the same issues since. Now afraid to drive in mountains as there have been no subsequent "fixes" done. Does any one know what could have happened? Both power steering and brake fluids were at normal levels at the time.

hmm, can't lose steering unless engine is off or fluid leaked out...which would effect brakes as well.....vacuum leak/booster failure possible but would not just work again at bottom of grade.....so did engine stall?

So let me understand this.
You say you suddenly lost brakes and power steering. You then continued to drive this vehicle for 2 years while doing nothing to diagnose or remedy the situation?
Do I have this correct?

Troll-bait_fb_59195.jpg

Okay, I will bite......

Head gasket

Sounds like erratic or intermittent booster issues.

The two systems are utterly and completely separate!
If you weren't using lower gears and engine braking to start with going down a long hill, that may be the problem with the brakes. They got hot and faded as the fluid boiled in the calipers. You then switched to engine braking, giving the brakes a chance to cool, restoring braking at the bottom of the hill. This is normal, this is why automatic transmission vehicles have lower, select-able gears.

As for the power steering, I guess it could be possible for the fluid to get hot enough to boil in the pump and cause cavitation, if the steering was being used alot and at low speed preventing cooling. Was the pump whining and groaning the whole time? Does it still whine or groan when under load?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom