Power Steering Belt Swap and a Mystery Boot? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Goldbug

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm 2 months into 40 ownership, and so far, not bad. The PO installed power steering and I think did a decent job, except I get a terrible squeal when turning the wheel at low speeds. I believe it's the belt as the one on there looks like it's deep into the pulleys, so I got a new one at NAPA that looks like a better fit. But since it's not OEM, I'm a little unsure how to get it off. I think I can loosen the alternator and get the main, original belt off by looping over the fan. Can I expect to get the smaller power steering belt off over the fan too after loosening some bolts on the power steering? Don't want to take half the engine bay apart if I don't have to.

THANKS!

PS Belt 1.jpg

PS Belt 2.jpg

And while rinsing the mud out of the frame rails, I noticed this large opening in the transmission or transfer case? Seems like an awfully big opening that should have a dust boot or something on it? It's a 78 FJ40 with an F engine in it, if that matters.

thanks again

TCase Hole 1.jpg

And while rinsing the mud out of the frame rails, I noticed this large opening in the transmission or transfer case? Seems like an awfully big opening that should have a dust boot or something on it? It's a 78 FJ40 with an F engine in it, if that matters.

thanks again

View attachment 2348086
Any thoughts? Gonna try to do the belt tonight.

From what i can see the belt is riding way too deep into the pulley, you need a wider belt so it would ride correctly into the groove. You can
even see where the old belt use to ride.

I think you're not getting a reply because that doesn't (at least from my recollection) look like a port opening that is normally present. You mention having an F engine in a 78 (as opposed to a 2F) ... are you sure about that?
Yeah, it’s an F. From an FJ55. The PO thought the 55s and 40s had the same engine so he had an F rebuilt and put it in the 40. Does it look like it need to be filled or covered up?
Thanks

From what i can see the belt is riding way too deep into the pulley, you need a wider belt so it would ride correctly into the groove. You can
even see where the old belt use to ride.
Thanks, I got a new belt that I think is wider, but can I remove the old ones simply by pulling over the fan or do I need to remove the fan? Can’t find a thread or YouTube video to remove a PS belt that wasn’t factory installed. Thanks

From the picture of the power steering pump, I think you have a 2F....at least the head and exhaust manifold are. The hole underneath...is it in the bell housing, driver or passenger side?
Belts.....you can pull it off the pullys, pull it tight to the water pump shaft and snake it over one or 2 fan blades. It’ll be tight between the blade tips and fan shroud....but you may get lucky. If it were me, I would loosen the original, get it out of the way, snake the new one in, check for fit ....the cut the old one....then you’re only fighting the belt once.
Good Luck!

From the picture of the power steering pump, I think you have a 2F....at least the head and exhaust manifold are. The hole underneath...is it in the bell housing, driver or passenger side?
Belts.....you can pull it off the pullys, pull it tight to the water pump shaft and snake it over one or 2 fan blades. It’ll be tight between the blade tips and fan shroud....but you may get lucky. If it were me, I would loosen the original, get it out of the way, snake the new one in, check for fit ....the cut the old one....then you’re only fighting the belt once.
Good Luck!
Thanks Mark, much appreciated, I’ll give that a shot on the belts. The opening is on the driver side and it’s an F engine with some 2F leftovers for manifold etc. I checked the numbers with Jim C, etc. Decided to paint the original steelies tonight, will tackle belts tomorrow....

F26D5781-D143-45A4-AB12-59D172897D93.jpeg

The hole you are interested in is the alternate side clutch throwout arm hole. If you look on the passenger side you should find the clutch slave, and throw out arm. The blank hole should have a cover plate that looks like the photo. The photo is from my 68 looking aft toward the transmission. My clutch slave and throw out arm are on the drivers side.

View attachment 2348627
The hole you are interested in is the alternate side clutch throwout arm hole. If you look on the passenger side you should find the clutch slave, and throw out arm. The blank hole should have a cover plate that looks like the photo. The photo is from my 68 looking aft toward the transmission. My clutch slave and throw out arm are on the drivers side.
Thanks Mark, much appreciated. I’ll order a cover plate from SOR or Toyota with my next batch

The hole in your clutch cover housing needs to be filled with part number 31121-60021.

1592914346816.png
1592914384505.png

NOTE: Let me clarify the use of this part. Use the above if your clutch cover housing is dated from 08/1974 - 07/1980.

Last edited:
Looks to me like the PO installed a mid-80s Tercel PS pump from a 4WD hatchback model. I have '84 Tercel pumps in both of my FJ40s, mounted on the smog pump bracket. It also looks like the belt is lined up OK. With the Tercel pump the pulley needs to be flipped, yours looks like that was done.

Went to swap the belts and noticed that the bigger belt that does alternator, etc is barely on the engine pulley, really freaked me out. Should I be scared by this? Thinking the belt is meant to go on the inner pulley, and doesn’t fit quite right on the outer one? Different belt or different pulley needed?

9C8FFD68-A2A1-4D5F-B92B-DBAC3243D48F.jpeg

4C33BD9B-3B7F-4643-91B4-ED79488A3BF9.jpeg

@4Cruisers

you have 2 things going on here , one good one not so good ..........

- you have a @4Cruisers pioneered and well documented Tercel 4x4 wagon P/S upgrade conversion , this is ok and good

how ever ,

you need a type and size belt called a " COGGED " type or style ...............

or

i like to slang say a TOYOTA Farm Tractor Belt :)

also , remember the Brand BANDO , this will become your ONLY drive belt choice and option in mu opinion .........

here is the facts and TECH you need :

1592969093762.png

here is your currect NAPA belt specs ,

you need a much WIDER TOP Width Cogged type belt .....

1592970037803.png

@4Cruisers

you have 2 things going on here , one good one not so good ..........

- you have a @4Cruisers pioneered and well documented Tercel 4x4 wagon P/S upgrade conversion , this is ok and good

how ever ,

you need a type and size belt called a " COGGED " type or style ...............

or

i like to slang say a TOYOTA Farm Tractor Belt :)

also , remember the Brand BANDO , this will become your ONLY drive belt choice and option in mu opinion .........

here is the facts and TECH you need :

View attachment 2349591

here is your currect NAPA belt specs ,

you need a much WIDER TOP Width Cogged type belt .....

View attachment 2349605
Thanks @ToyotaMatt. To be real clear, you're talking about the larger belt that goes around the alternator, etc that I now realize is almost off the pulley, right? The bottom pulley in the last pic.

thanks

i was refering to the Tercel Conversion Pully P/S belt from NAPA that is 100% Incorrect in every way , and will fail sooner then later and leave you walking .......

its a 4 cylinder tercel drive belt size and type .......

Now that you bring that topic up , the ALT belt is undersoze and Wrong / incorrect also ..............

you need the BANDO Cogged wide tractor type belts on both now ........

throw me a PM ,

i might / should be able to help ?

set you up with the right gear , OEM TOYOTA parts maker BANDO

i was just approved to be a BANDO authorized Vendor in last 2 weeks , so this is good !

help you and get my first stock order too , :)

fanexp-201901.jpg

images66666.jpeg

Thanks @ToyotaMatt, just sent a PM.
I think I have an issue though with different gauge/size pulleys on the same belts.
The pulley at the bottom coming off the motor looks much narrower than the pulleys on the alternator and water pump. Looks like that is due to the PO swapping in the F motor and keeping some 2F parts.

Is there a belt that will work on different size pulleys or can I somehow shrink or expand one pulley or the other?
Or is this somehow magically not a big deal? Not hopeful on that one...
I included a pic with the belt that I was going to use to replace the PS belt, the thing that started this whole escapade...

30260D3A-2DC1-4FFB-96BE-526C5D6423B0.jpeg

89C9D0D8-B3B6-4E51-8AAF-C736B6A0FDF4.jpeg

AA233773-8569-4F2C-AEA3-0A6DCAB92AA0.jpeg

60B47F85-43FD-4082-B0A9-CC68F41D1600.jpeg

A582F831-5AB1-48EA-92D3-6CC0360D37B6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom