Power Steering and 37's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have Saginaw P.S. on a 78 FJ-40 with 37's and notice that on steep, slow speed decents the big meats get real hard to turn...I even locked up going down Hell's Gate in Moab last spring...scary :eek: I think at low RPM's with lots of weigh up front, the pump doesn't send enough juice to the gear box to turn my tires.
Anybody know of a pump and gearbox that works well with big meats at slow speeds? AGR?? Or is it time to look into hydralic assist or full hydralic (which I know very little about :-\ Advise appreciated,

Scott
78 FJ-40 "Rudy"

smaller PS pully will offer better boost at lower rpm's...also, keep the rig in granny gear and accellerate a bit to get some pressure moving.

Hydro assist is on my list too

How many banana upgrade is hydro-assist? I did most of the original Saginaw stuff myself, but haven't begun seriously researching hydo...I guess I'm starting that process now :D Anyway, is it a big dollar, high knowhow project?

Thanks,

Scott
78 FJ-40 "Rudy"

The problem that I have ran into using a smaller dialmeter pulley, was less belt engagement, leading to that wonderful belt squeal.

You say your steering "locked up"... Has this happened since? I would inspect the area that the steering shaft passes through the frame for a piece of material, read small stone, that could have bound the steering shaft up, preventing you from being able to turn the wheels. When this happened, did you notice if you could turn one way, and not the other?

If you were able to perform the power steering conversion, installing an AGR, or similar system should not be that big of a deal.

Good luck!

-Steve

I run 37" and Saginaw PS. Never really felt like the PS was overpowered by the tires. Is the your pump in good shape? A belt slipping or fluid leaks maybe?

Dave

this may be stating the obvious but have you checked out the mod's on the pump... it really helped my steering while idling issue

a

Thanks for all the advise,

I think for now I'm going to just wheel with the 37's and Saginaw and if I have real 'lock up' issues going slow down hill, I'll look into hydo-assist. 99% of the time it drives great...but that one percent on steep down is scary when you can't steer :p

Scott
78 FJ-40 "Rudy"

If you have the 3 1/8" piston saginaw (most common) then you may want to look for the larger 3 1/2". It is a simple bolt on as it has the same bolt pattern. It will give a 12% increase in steering power at the same hydraulic pressure. Got mine from a J-20.

Do the pump mods. They help.

Still do not see where you answered the questions..

"You say your steering "locked up"... Has this happened since? When this happened, did you notice if you could turn one way, and not the other?"

Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom