Power Steering 2000 LX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A mechanic told me that I needed a new reservoir as well as new hoses. However he said the bigger hose that is connected to the pressure hose doesn’t come separate. Quoted me around $1800 after taxes and all. I understand it’s not the easiest job because of the location but I want to try it myself if I can do it way cheaper.

I have a few photos of what’s going on. If you can make out what’s going on from the pictures, do I really need to replace the reservoir as well as the two hoses?

I’m thinking to definitely replace the hoses, which I’ve read here and there that you don’t HAVE to use the OEM hoses and that you could find/use other brand power steering hoses. The mechanic also said that the power steering pump was fine it was just the reservoir and the connecting hoses. There is some rust, but does the pump seem like it’s leaking as well or does it seem alright?
49258F54-7554-4CA4-8AB7-A40341C86B61.jpeg
AC59E561-ED8D-41B7-BB46-03C36AB2EED2.jpeg
92B64EAE-0319-4154-80A0-DF74E75E2F34.jpeg
3AB88B99-9577-4787-9585-DFF6107677FA.jpeg

F7B3F1D3-BD60-44FA-A5F2-7B160BC1DED2.jpeg

Here is what you should do, it's easy and won't cost many dollars

• Spray some engine degreaser foam on the leaky area and let it sit for a few
  • Hose it all down
  • Top off fluid in reservoir , it looks empty.
  • Monitor where it is leaking from
  • I would most likely just replace the hose clamps as I assume that is where it is weeping from, common problem
  • The hoses don't look swollen and probably don't need to be replaced but if you had the time / money go for it.
    >> $1800 does sound a bit steep, I bet Toyota could do it for way less. Parts are a bit spend but it should only be 1-2 hours labor.

Start with that, clean it up, top it off, and tighten those hoses down.

• It's hard to tell from that angle but it also looks like your missing a vac line from the power steering pump vane. You can see one is installed and has been popped out of the bracket is should be in. The other is missing,.

Looks like this, two little nipples that should have vac lines running back up towards engine
    1674141374164.png
    1674141600525.png

You need to spend some time under the hood cleaning stuff up and inspecting. It looks like fluid has been thrown onto the belt and all over the place. You may want to just take a look around, can post some more pictures here and we'll take a look.

You can do it easily. Clean the screen inside the reservoir and reuse it. Use OEM hoses: Aftermarket hoses are very brittle (just like your old hoses) and may break the nipples coming off the reservoir when trying to install it.

I see both vacuum lines attached but not routed through the two clips on T-belt cover

I also believe you could buy the hoses separately if you wanted. Since your diving into all this you'll want to drain and clean ( or just replace ) the reservoir and screen as well.

1674141500152.png

Unless they were referring to the lower lines, I do believe those are sold as a pair.

Last edited:
Here is what you should do, it's easy and won't cost many dollars

• Spray some engine degreaser foam on the leaky area and let it sit for a few
  • Hose it all down
  • Top off fluid in reservoir , it looks empty.
  • Monitor where it is leaking from
  • I would most likely just replace the hose clamps as I assume that is where it is weeping from, common problem
  • The hoses don't look swollen and probably don't need to be replaced but if you had the time / money go for it.
    >> $1800 does sound a bit steep, I bet Toyota could do it for way less. Parts are a bit spend but it should only be 1-2 hours labor.

Start with that, clean it up, top it off, and tighten those hoses down.

• It's hard to tell from that angle but it also looks like your missing a vac line from the power steering pump vane. You can see one is installed and has been popped out of the bracket is should be in. The other is missing,.

Looks like this, two little nipples that should have vac lines running back up towards engine
    View attachment 3223625View attachment 3223627
    You need to spend some time under the hood cleaning stuff up and inspecting. It looks like fluid has been thrown onto the belt and all over the place. You may want to just take a look around, can post some more pictures here and we'll take a look.
Thanks so much for this info/insight!! I’m very new to vehicles so that gets me in the right direction.
As far as spraying the degreaser, hosing it down, and replacing the hose clamps, will I need to remove the reservoir and hoses or would I be able to reach down and switch out all the clamps?

I also believe you could buy the hoses separately if you wanted. Since your diving into all this you'll want to drain and clean ( or just replace ) the reservoir and screen as well.

View attachment 3223626

Unless they were referring to the lower lines, I do believe those are sold as a pair.
The parts diagram you've posted is for 03-07. He has 2000.
In the 98-02, the return line is part of the HP/LP (High & lower pressure line) assembly (OEM ~$500).

We've 3 option for 98-02 return line:
1) OEM assembly.
2) After market LP line.
3) Replace return line with 3/8" transmission cooler hose.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this info/insight!! I’m very new to vehicles so that gets me in the right direction.
As far as spraying the degreaser, hosing it down, and replacing the hose clamps, will I need to remove the reservoir and hoses or would I be able to reach down and switch out all the clamps?
@2001LC Thanks for the clarity, I was just bouncing round on my cell phone.

For sure, you can find a wealth of knowledge on these forums. I usually just google " My topic here 100 series ih8mud" The forum previously posted has a lot of good info.

• I'd start simple and just keep everything connected as is.
  • Try to avoid the alternator when degreasing \ hosing and after you give it the bath you should go for a little drive / or let the engine run to dry stuff off.
  • It wouldn't hurt to try and clean that belt as well as it looks greasy.
  • Once everything is cleaned and you top your fluid off ( Red ATF Fluid ) you can run it for a while and keep an eye on it. Thsi will help narrow down where the leak is coming from. In most cases it's just those hoses with the clamps coming off of them . It seeps down and some people diagnose the leak from the lower hoses.
  • If you find it's coming from those upper hoses you could remove them since you're probably destined to clean the reservoir anyway or at least swap out that clamp.
  • Lazy / improper way to do it would be to slide that clamp down and then get a worm style clamp to just slip over and tighten down. This would avoid removing any hoses.

Gotta clean it up , top it off, and monitor it before making any decisions

For sure, you can find a wealth of knowledge on these forums. I usually just google " My topic here 100 series ih8mud" The forum previously posted has a lot of good info.

• Try to avoid the alternator when degreasing \ hosing and after you give it the bath you should go for a little drive / or let the engine run to dry stuff off.
  • Once everything is cleaned and you top your fluid off ( Red ATF Fluid ) you can run it for a while and keep an eye on it. Thsi will help narrow down where the leak is coming from. In most cases it's just those hoses with the clamps coming off of them . It seeps down and some people diagnose the leak from the lower hoses.
  • If you find it's coming from those upper hoses you could remove them since you're probably destined to clean the reservoir anyway or at least swap out that clamp.
  • Lazy / improper way to do it would be to slide that clamp down and then get a worm style clamp to just slip over and tighten down. This would avoid removing any hoses.

Okay that makes a lot of sense. Thanks again!!

I had good luck with the Sunsong aftermarket pressure/return hose assembly for $105 from Rockauto, and I know others on here have also used it with success. I try to stick with OEM, but the price difference on that was silly for something so straightforward. The larger diameter hose to the reservoir can be replaced with generic PS hose as documented on here. Your reservoir and pump are likely fine, and just need to be cleaned up. My rig looked exactly like that, and is no longer leaking a drop and cleaning up, replacing hoses, and installing new hose clamps. I also replaced my rack due to leaks, but all in I spent like $5-600 in parts including the rack, and it's like new now.

I had good luck with the Sunsong aftermarket pressure/return hose assembly for $105 from Rockauto, and I know others on here have also used it with success. I try to stick with OEM, but the price difference on that was silly for something so straightforward. The larger diameter hose to the reservoir can be replaced with generic PS hose as documented on here. Your reservoir and pump are likely fine, and just need to be cleaned up. My rig looked exactly like that, and is no longer leaking a drop and cleaning up, replacing hoses, and installing new hose clamps. I also replaced my rack due to leaks, but all in I spent like $5-600 in parts including the rack, and it's like new now.
Nice thanks for this! I’m definitely going to look into the generic PS hoses for replacement and get that reservoir cleaned up. I’m the 3rd owner and I bought it mid summer of 22 and the previous owner said he had put in a new PS rack so I might be good there.

Nice thanks for this! I’m definitely going to look into the generic PS hoses for replacement and get that reservoir cleaned up. I’m the 3rd owner and I bought it mid summer of 22 and the previous owner said he had put in a new PS rack so I might be good there.
New rack, awesome.......When you have some time to dive into it post some more pics. Some before and after would be cool to see how it cleans up. Remove the skid plate from down below to get a look at that new rack.

3) Replace return line with 3/8" transmission cooler hose.

I replaced both lines (per Mud thread below) with $15 worth of power steering-rated hose (US-made) from Advance Auto, who stocked it. You need 3' of 3/8" and 2' of 5/8". You also need a quart of Dex III ATF to refill the reservoir.

You don't want fuel line or radiator hose, you want power steering hose. Installing the lower, smaller hose was no fun, but I warmed it with a heat gun and that made it softer and I was able to slide it on. I was even able to re-use all the factory clamps, as the OD of the new hose was similar to the Toyota hose and the clamps gripped tightly. Be careful with the plastic reservoir as you remove the old hoses.

You really should be able to do this job (barring the unforeseen) for about $25.

Yeah

question: if I replace the hose clamps, will I need to remove the hoses?
Also, in replacing the hose clamps, are there only hose clamps up near the reservoir or are there clamps down near the pump as well?

If your worried about removing hoses you can take the east way out and just slide those clamps down and then attached a worm style clamp . That's not the proper fix but would be alright as a band-aid until you can do it right.

First start with cleaning it all up and topping off the fluid so you can monitor to make sure your fixing the right problem.

Yeah there are clamps on the other end as well. Go to www.partsouq.com and enter your vin so you can look up some parts diagrams for your rig

If your worried about removing hoses you can take the east way out and just slide those clamps down and then attached a worm style clamp . That's not the proper fix but would be alright as a band-aid until you can do it right.

First start with cleaning it all up and topping off the fluid so you can monitor to make sure your fixing the right problem.

Yeah there are clamps on the other end as well. Go to www.partsouq.com and enter your vin so you can look up some parts diagrams for your rig
Gotcha, makes sense. This may be a silly question but if it’s leaking from the reservoir due to the hoses being loose (as it seems is what’s going on) should the clamps on the bottom end be alright to leave on?

Gotcha, makes sense. This may be a silly question but if it’s leaking from the reservoir due to the hoses being loose (as it seems is what’s going on) should the clamps on the bottom end be alright to leave on?

and I’m definitely going to start with cleaning and topping off the fluid but I did come across a mechanic yesterday with a bunch of junk cars near me. I asked to look at the power steering reservoirs on a few of his Toyotas (couple Camrys and a Highlander) as I read somewhere that someone said they got an old Toyota Camry reservoir for their 100 series and it worked. The 2000 Camry reservoirs do look identical. I know we’ve basically established that i likely won’t need new reservoir but won’t know til I clean it up..however in regard to the junk Camrys, do you think I could use the hose clamps from their power steering hoses? The ones I saw yesterday looked in pretty good condition.

Wont know for sure til it's cleaned up and you can inspect . If they are leaking from the bottom end you'll have to get em fixed up.

Generally speaking most people's tend to leak from the top side.

Clamps are very cheap I wouldn't use a used car clamp... chances are it's the same style as yours and you need to take the hose off anyway.

As for the reservoir, I'm not sure if they are close to the same or not, no experience there . Yours can just be cleaned if you end up removing it and swapping parts.

The post that 2001lc posted earlier is super detailed so don't be afraid to dive in and fix it right even with just basic tools you can get it done

Wont know for sure til it's cleaned up and you can inspect . If they are leaking from the bottom end you'll have to get em fixed up.

Generally speaking most people's tend to leak from the top side.

Clamps are very cheap I wouldn't use a used car clamp... chances are it's the same style as yours and you need to take the hose off anyway.

As for the reservoir, I'm not sure if they are close to the same or not, no experience there . Yours can just be cleaned if you end up removing it and swapping parts.
Thank you again!! One more question about cleaning it. After spraying degreaser on the reservoir and hoses, you said to “hose it alll down” meaning just with a regular water hose??

I’m sorry I’m a real novice at this stuff if you couldn’t already tell by my questions and username haha. I really really appreciate your insight!!

Thank you again!! One more question about cleaning it. After spraying degreaser on the reservoir and hoses, you said to “hose it alll down” meaning just with a regular water hose??

I’m sorry I’m a real novice at this stuff if you couldn’t already tell by my questions and username haha. I really really appreciate your insight!!
Yep you got it, just low pressure hose water is fine . The only electronic in that area I'd try to avoid is the alternator, at least when spraying the degreaser.

That stuff works pretty good just let it sit for a few minutes. Hose down , run engine to dry off , repeat if necessary. Couple of rags or soft brush will help on heavier deposits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom