Power spray wash OK for wax and finish? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
thinking about getting one of those engine driven high-pressure (2000 psi supposedly) power spray wash things (from Costco). Besides the gadget fun aspect :D, I'm also hoping this will help clean the trucks much faster (perhaps helped by sucking some soap in at the same time?).
Anybody knows if these things will remove wax or harm the clear coat? Would come in handy for the undercarriage too I would think.
(on topic for Woody: I plan to use this on the 100... ;))
E

(on topic for Woody: I plan to use this on the 100... )

I think he has heard you now :D

Mike

I've always found that using a pressure washer doesn't work well on the painted surfaces. Always keep the pressure down and keep a good distance away from the paint.

Using good fashion elbow grease and a soft wash mitt gives better results and is better for the paint.

Pressure good for undercarriage as you point out. I've never seen on those that's run off of the engine.... ???

I would spend my money on something else like sliders, rims, tires, rear bumper and new roof rack.

had a van some time back. Was probably about 15 years old or so. It had these adhesive pinstripes that were put on either at the dealer originally or shortly thereafter. Been there forever. Well, before trying to sell the thing, I decided to power wash it with one of these engine driven high pressure sprays. Well, you can guess the rest of the story... :-\

well maybe not. Some of the tape got removed. Looked terrible. Decided to remove the rest with the sprayer. Well then the paint started to come off... Got concerned a bit by then. Stopped.

decided to sell it as is. First guy comes over in the evening. I tell him about the paint. I offer to bring a light out so he sees the situation. He says I don't care. Pulls out a fat wad of bills. Gives me my asking price and drives off. Me running behind shouting "wait, wait, I have the service manual for it..." Never mind, he keeps going, stripping the gears on the way...

Never saw him again...
???
E

Here's my power washer
piss2.gif

You can use it, but be carefull if you do. You'd be better off going through a do it yourself car wash or what I like to do is go the high school fundraiser car washes when I'm all yucked up. :D They hate me, but I hate them so it works out well. :flipoff2: :D

For the under the truck, keep the power wash away from the important bits. Get yourself a lawn sprinkler and put it under the truck.

Buy one that can go up to 3500 to 5000 psi. That way, when you mess up your paint job, you can go ahead and strip it to primer or bare metal for a new paint job. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom