power seat worm drive shaft guide part for 80 series seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
UPDATE:
i am printing them out of nylon.
$40 a pair shipped anywhere in the US.
i'll split cost of overseas shipping.
landcruiser3DP@gmail.com
-
i made what i think is an improved "worm drive shaft guide" for the power seats and was going to put in an order for a bunch in carbon fiber. i was also going to check into injection molding just because i am curious about the process so if anyone knows anything about that process or has a hookup in the industry i'd love to talk to them just to understand it.
anyway, this is the cap that keeps the worm drive gear in the seat and afaik is not available from toyota. or at least i was not able to find it. if there is any interest message me off list and i can try to get one to you when i figure out cost. i expect to "beta test" it myself and send off a couple more to test to a couple interested parties.
if anyone sees any problems with the part let me know and i can fix it before printing.

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 5.23.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 5.15.04 PM.png

Last edited:
I'll bite. Read this, think I understand carbon fiber.... Edumacate me why is it the wrong material?

what do you like for that part? what don't you like about carbon fiber?
It's not a bearing surface in traditional forms. Why not use something that's traditionally appropriate for this like nylon or bronze or steel or anything else?

It's not a bearing surface in traditional forms. Why not use something that's traditionally appropriate for this like nylon or bronze or steel or anything else?

yeah. thanks for the input. i appreciate it.
some questions. is this thing really a bearing surface? i mean i am not great with that kind of terminology exactly but is it in fact technically a bearing part? seems like it just captures it so it doesn't flap around but i'm not sure. so the stress would be more of an impact stress if the front of the seat got hit hard or something?
also i was not totally clear in the original post but i am planning on printing the first couple of batches. so they could be in ABS or in nylon or direct to metal but metal would be like the pimp your ride version because metal is going to be expensive.
i mean i would be interested in learning more about printed ABS vs. printed nylon vs a printed carbon fiber versus injection molded nylon or whatever but because this is such a low stress part it seems like it may not matter a whole lot? or at least worthwhile to print up some prototypes and see what folks think of them?

yeah. thanks for the input. i appreciate it.
some questions. is this thing really a bearing surface? i mean i am not great with that kind of terminology exactly but is it in fact technically a bearing part? seems like it just captures it so it doesn't flap around but i'm not sure. so the stress would be more of an impact stress if the front of the seat got hit hard or something?
also i was not totally clear in the original post but i am planning on printing the first couple of batches. so they could be in ABS or in nylon or direct to metal but metal would be like the pimp your ride version because metal is going to be expensive.
i mean i would be interested in learning more about printed ABS vs. printed nylon vs a printed carbon fiber versus injection molded nylon or whatever but because this is such a low stress part it seems like it may not matter a whole lot? or at least worthwhile to print up some prototypes and see what folks think of them?
Yeah, go for it. Is it a common failing part?

Are you talking about the parts that are available from Gamiviti?

I don't think Gamiviti makes these. He fashions a fender washer to replace a missing one in his seat gear video. Ryan also make a repair to one in his OTRAMM seat gear video. Doubt they will turn you into the next Dr Evil but I imagine some folks need these.

Are you talking about the parts that are available from Gamiviti?
No. Gamiviti makes the gears and caps for the gearboxes.
@hotwheels2017 is referring to the 2 nylon rear supports for the worm gears. On the 4 power seats I have repaired, all of them could use at least 1 of these. The screw ears fracture after 23+ years.

There is no “load” on this piece and it’s job is to keep the the stub end of the long worm gear concentric. That’s it. It’s not a bearing surface, it’s just a guide. Make it out of whatever material you want. Nylon is crazy cheap and that part I can machine in about three minutes which is about 10x quicker than printing it but would wind up costing 10x the cost of 3D printing so there is that 😜

Btw yes this is an ideal part for injection molding...if you were making thousands and thousands which could offset the roughly $2k in form costs.

thanks joey. small steps obviously. always great to get the assembled expertise on this kind of thing. i’m seriously interested in networking with CAD jockeys, FEA guys, materials science guys, injection molding or CNC guys in general and forums like this are great for that.

OK. here is a write up on fit up.

time: 15 minutes including moving stuff out of the way

tools:
socket wrench
14mm socket
socket extension
phillips head screwdriver
(spare machine screws if needed)

work:
undo front bolts with extension
remove cover brackets in back
remove rear bolts without extension
partially remove seat
unclip electrical plug by pressing down on clip on male portion of harness.
lean seat against center console.

install new worm drive shaft guides as needed.
lean seat so you can replace male portion of harness (repeat after me out loud - “replace male portion of harness”.)
locate seat and hand thread rear bolts. hand thread front bolts.
install rear bolts and tighten. tighten front bolts.
reinstall cover caps in back.

check seat moves back and forth properly.

NOTE: if you do not have existing caps or if your seat is not working you will want to “zero out” the actual worm drives so they are evenly aligned in the seat.

i’ll post a part number for the machine screws that’s hold these things on when i find it.

it’s obviously pretty straightforward but if anyone has any questions feel free to post here or message me.

12EE15EA-40F9-4AA3-BFB7-773E3ABF5469.jpeg

F9EE1B9D-A730-4C6B-B9E0-2F7DDAE18C90.jpeg

275AFC8B-DB9E-4DD3-B13A-BFF1F13BE839.jpeg

B2489FA5-41E3-43AD-94C2-C3DA5C82702B.jpeg

FA593B74-FF5D-4FF8-9846-331A8901A191.jpeg

Who made that part and what material is it made of?
Did you use any lube or is the material self lubricating?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom