power seat rebuild - missing washers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got the gears from Gamiviti and am in the process of rebuilding my front power seats, but I've run into a problem. It looks like someone has been in here before, everything was lose and parts were missing. when watching the instructional video on the Gamiviti sight, at one point he quickly says something about rubber washers as he removes the gear covers. I don't have those. does anyone know what size these washers are? or have a detailed parts diagram of the gear box broken down?

also, everything taken apart and greased and re-assembled, it seems to still be binding up. any tips?

Thank you! really eager to get my seat reinstalled.

***Don't know if there is a way to delete or edit the original post, but I worded it a little better here and added some pictures:

Replacing the gears in my power seat. Someone has been in here before and I suspect they didn’t put it back together properly.

The side with the motor had this bearing washer sandwiched between two flat washers underneath the gear. The other side just had one washer on top of the gear and nothing underneath.

The Gamiviti instructional video mentioned some rubber washers. I don’t have any of those.

Anyone know what kind of washers I need and where?

Thanks!

10742310-7B78-47F2-B653-DB2286857F41.jpeg

3910559E-1DCE-4076-BA64-BA107A8B3480.jpeg

B5E99F30-3A5E-492F-80D0-58C6D560AEE5.jpeg

When I pulled the gears on my seats out as I recall there was a slight difference between what has been documented on the forum and what I found. The rubber washer if it existed was just a thick gooey mess mixed with the remaining old hard grease. There was one addition washer per seat in one of the gear housings. I think it was on the motor side.

Not knowing the thickness of that rubber washer I purchased generic 7/16" rubber washers and 7/16" stainless flat washers from Lowes. The flat washers had acceptable OD/ID as compared to the original washers but were slightly thicker. The rubber washers had the correct ID but the OD needed to be cut down. To do this I sandwiched the rubber between the washers and used my Dremel tool to sand the rubber to size.

Each gearbox is assembled in order:

steel washer
plastic thrust bearing
steel washer
gear assembly
steel washer
rubber washer
steel washer - see my note below

Notes:
The first three pieces locate the gear at the proper location to mesh properly with the shaft that drives it so that was good. When assembling the rest without that last steel washer I thought the axle play was too much. Adding one of the original washers eliminated that play with a slight amount of drag. This was all fitting without grease. I decided it best to take one of the purchased washers and reduce its thickness on my sander until that drag was eliminated. Assembled with grease and everything is working properly.

If a thinner rubber washer was was used I'm sure everything would have fit without grinding.

I'm currently fighting my front seat not moving due to the same problem as Phil. My seat has been worked on once before about 10 years ago with the replacement gear from Gamiviti. I took it apart and the gears inside were sloppy and missing the rubber washer. The gear box assembly is as follows:

thick plastic washer (no thrust bearing)
steel washer
gear assembly
steel washer
* gobs of grease*

I tried cleaning everything and putting it all back together. The motor will work once and stop due to the unbalance jamming. I could hear the motor attempt to run with no success. I've also added another plastic washer to take up the slop. I spent a couple of hours cutting and grinding the plastic washer to fit in the transmission without binding. I've pretty much given up and ordered two tranmissions to arrive in two weeks. In the mean time, I put it all back together with the seat in a usable position. If I have time, I might try swapping the seat motor/tranmission between the driver and passenger side. Im just tired from moving the seat in and out of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom