Power Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 5th generation, British edition, i assume series 80, VX Cruiser with an auto transmission. When the car is pulling off it is extremely sluggish and suddenly when the revs slowly rise, at around three and a half it will suddenly gain all its power and it feels like a turbo boost. Otherwise standard 1300 engines can pull off faster than my car. It seems like an electrical problem because it can get worse or better, sometimes when battery is disconnected or flat. The timing has been checked and currently investigating a fuel starvation scenario. Any suggestion?

Is it possible that it could be the gear box at all? It had a problem once whereby it would run through first gear then go into neutral, so basically you couldn't drive it. It was because a heavy load it was pulling damaged the transmission. It was repaired but never really the same, but I don't think that is the problem. It just doesn't make sense because the change in power is so dramatic, i'm talking it seems to give 20% output then suddenly 100%. Yes but i'm having all fuel lines and fuel delivery checked at the moment.

Lacks power

I'm not clear whether the Brit edition has an EGR, but sometimes the wiring harness that runs along the cowl, very near the EGR tube that comes up the back of the engine, gets too close to that tube and is extremely hot.

The problem is, the harness protector conceals the real damage that the heat causes, which is melted wires and when the engine moves just slightly to one side, the wires (now bare due to melted insulation) are no longer grounded and performance returns to normal. While you're having the fuel rail checked, take a good hard look at that harness. Like I said, the problem is generally well-concealed.

On the other hand, if it doesn't have EGR... nevermind!

Dan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom