Power Locks - locked out of vehicle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

So I just finished doing the last of my tune up on the 91 FJ80 and things work great. I finished my summer oil change and ran out to the store for some groceries, wondering what maintenance surprises lay in my future.

My truck tried to lock me out.
When I came back to the cruiser after getting groceries, the damn thing wouldn't let me back inside. I'd put my key in the door and as soon as I turned it, the door would lock again. Ignition was off, no keys in, lights off. I tried the back and passenger doors, same results.
Luckily, it only did this five times before letting me in. Still, though...

Previously, I had a weird problem with the doors all unlocking when I went for a drive, after the vehicle was running. So there's that, but I didn't worry about it too much- it was way down at the bottom of my priorities.

I don't want to get locked out when I'm in the bush...

So: how can I disable the power locks for the doors? I don't want or care about power locks, so is there an easy way to bypass or disable this system? I plan on fixing it, but I don't want a lockout situation in the near future.

For starters use a Hide-a-key, always. ESM for the wiring to trace to a location you could disconnect or snip. I'll look at the ESM tonight.

For starters use a Hide-a-key, always. ESM for the wiring to trace to a location you could disconnect or snip. I'll look at the ESM tonight.

Just for clarification, I had my keys on me. I was trying to get into the vehicle, but it was locking the doors on me the very second I unlocked them.

Last edited:
I have the exact same problem. I do believe it's an alarm issue on mine, maybe not. Mine has a switch in the drivers kick panel and a red light low in the dash. It also has a speaker/horn under the hood, wires have been cut to disable the horn by someone prior to me owning it.

I have the exact same problem. I do believe it's an alarm issue on mine, maybe not. Mine has a switch in the drivers kick panel and a red light low in the dash. It also has a speaker/horn under the hood, wires have been cut to disable the horn by someone prior to me owning it.

Hmm. Weird. Other than my stereo I'm not aware of any aftermarket electronics. If I did have an alarm I'm sure I would have run into it when I had all the seats out.
I guess it's time to have a really good look at all the wires in the front.

If I pull out the Door Lock Control Relay, is this likely to cause problems? I am not good with wiring diagrams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom