Power locks; drivers side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got a new '99 100 for my wife to replace the one I recently rolled. The power door locks don't work on the drivers side. I pulled the switches out of the old one (rolled) to see if the simple switch-a-roo would resolve the issue. The switches work in the old one but not in the new one. I pulled the whole switch assembly (windows and locks) to make it easy, but to no avail. :bang: I found a few threads on this but nothing addressing my issue, that I found. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Could be the actuator. Search "door lock actuator"

I did, and I don't think it's the actuator because the drivers side door will lock and unlock with the button on the passenger side. Also, the button on the drivers side will lock, but not unlock any/all the doors????

So everybody knows, I'm not as lucky as BBQ BOY.

Philthyphil-

A couple of suggestions...

Describe in clear detail the trouble shooting that you have performed? Such as ... step 1, test remote key fob unlock: results xyz. Step 2, test mast switch in drivers door unlock: results abc

Depending on your results and tests, I'll be able to give some advice.

I just got this thing. The remote key doesn't work. I have a new one on order. The drivers side door will lock the car but not unlock it, when you press the switch on the door. I pulled the switch assembly out of the door of the wrecked cruiser and replaced the switch in the new cruiser. Still didn't work. The switch on the passenger side works fine. A lot of people tell me its the actuator but I guess I'm in denial because I don’t want to take the entire door apart since I just bought the rig.

I pulled the door panel and got everything open. For the love of god how do you get the actuator out of the door?!?!?

Phil, search and download the 2004 factory service manual on here. It has a troubleshooting diagnosis guide. The wiring is likely different but it will still give you some guidance.

Phil - If you doubt the actuator, you should go ahead and fix. You can buy the actuator motor from Topo (a member here on Mud) and then replace the lil motor inside the actuator. Plenty of step by step directions for this procedure on Mud. Or if you're loaded pay for a brand new actuator from Toyota for a few hundred.

Typically for the problems you're experiencing, one checks/tests the: switch, actuator, relays, Body Control Module.

I'd suggest some further testing for your situation to eliminate a few of the potential sources. Sounds like you've eliminated the switch problem by swapping with a known "good" switch on the drivers side. Good job.

Right now I don't think you've tested enough to eliminate the actuator from being a potential problem source. An actuator could be "weak" and performing the first manuvers but not the others. Try reversing your testing procedure here. Also, if your current key is working, try it in the passenger door lock. If you turn counter clockwise, it should unlock your drivers door. If this is the case (and please test a few times to ensure the actuator motor isn't weak), then you could assume the actuator isn't the source of the problem.

I need to read up more on relays but from my understanding they are either bad or good consistently. Like 100% of the time working fine and then KA-PUT 100% of the time it wont work. I completely swapped mine out and it had no effect. If you're interested in swapping your's, let me know. I can ship you my old (but working) relays to save you some scratch.

I think you're problem is related to the body control module. This is a pricey part but it's what I've narrowed my situation down to. It resides above the radio in the dash and typically runs about $300-400 dollars. I'm still trying to confirm if it has to be programmed to the car to enable each feature (or options, ie. sunroof, one touch power windows, auto-locking doors, etc).

Try eliminating the potential for a faulty actuator. If the problem is the actuator, you've got an easy fix for a few hundred OR you can buy the lil motor inside the actuator from Topo for a few bucks and DIY. If this is a relay or body control module, it's a different story.

Oh, and what year is your "extra" master switch for the drivers door that you got from the wrecker? I may be looking for another switch for more testing on my vehicle and very elaborate writes with detailed pics and procedures etc.

Sorry, not what "year" what model LC or LX?

Both are LC's wrecked is '98 new is '99. Thanks for the tips. How are you diagnosing relays/body module. Looking to sell the wrecked one whole so I don't want to sell too many parts yet. Sale should finalize tomorrow.

Well, I think the idea on relays is they work or they don't. If you're able to use the passenger door lock and passenger lock switch to operate the drivers locking mechanism, then relays should work.

My case was the neither switch worked the lock mechanism on any door, so it made more sense for the relays to be a possible point of failure. Trouble shooting limited based on this fact and I swapped all the relays from the back of the junction box. Huge PIA.

I don't know the troubleshooting method for the Body Controller. The whole system was diagnosed by my mechanic shop and they suspect the controller. I've swapped all switches, relays, and actuators work fine ... so by process of elimination the wiring would have to be good and it leaves nothing but the controller.

Passenger door switch works all doors properly. Thats why I started with the switch at drivers side. Switch swap didn't work and everybody pointed me to actuator. Actuator was PIA to get out and I got it out on blind luck so I am worried I won't be able to get it in the new one (working). So its not the switch, not the relay, and if its not the actuator, I think I'm fooked because its the body controller.

It's not likely to be the actuator if the passenger door switch was working the lock mechanism. The PS switch sends the signal to drivers door and then relies on the actuator to open the mechanism. So... you're in my spot in assuming its the body controller.

lexi4darin & Phil:

Did you replace the body control module? My problem with the door locks comes and goes. The power door on driver & passenger does not work. The remote only locks the all doors. Before I can lock & unlock from the remote. I am pretty sure my door lock problem is not going away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom