Power Inverter for Electric Chain Saw? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.overlandexperts.com
:idea:

Maybe my head is up my ass, but I want to be able to have the capability to clear fallen trees from the trail or road. I do not want to carry my Husqvarna and fuel in the back of my cruiser on a weekend trip. Could I run an electric chain saw with a power inverter from my cruiser? Would I need more alternator?

A recent early season snow storm brought up this issue. No problem with the snow, but it was wet and heavy and combined with the still foliated trees there was alot of road blockage. Lots of people were stranded in the back country (Dolly Sods, WVa) by fallen trees. I like winter trips into the boonies for backpacking/skiing. It's one of the reasons I bought my cruiser. I would like to add this heavy cutting capability without the fumes inside.

Any thoughts/comments?

I've got a nice 1500 watt Vector power inverter that I just bought and never got around to installing. After i thought about it, I dont really need it and will be willing to sell it to you. It has all the wiring as well such as 2 ga cable, fuse holder, fuses, etc. I'll send you a PM later today.

Holy crap that would take alotta power. Electric chainsaws (good ones anyhow) take at least 2000 watts or around 12A. To be honest, I'd bring a bowsaw or if the trees are less than 8" a cordless Makita is WICKED. Ive used one...

Later

I bought a Makita 4000 electric chainsaw (16" bar) to use exactly as you describe with my 1500 watt inverter. The chainsaw drew approx 12 amps (if memory serves) and would not run on the inverter. So, I sold that chainsaw on Ebay and bought a very small electric chainsaw (it's actually a Remingon pole saw for pruning branches). It only draws 8 amps and runs off the inverter just fine. I think it only has a 10" bar but its big enough to eventually chew through most trees that may fall in your path. I keep the small saw and an extension cord in my gear drawers in the back so I will always have it when I need it.

All that being said, I also just bought a small Stihl gas saw because electric (especially run off an inverter) really is no substitute.

By the time you buy an inverter and an electric chainsaw you could by a small gas saw that would be appropriately sized for keeping in the Cruiser. It'll cut a lot more and you won't be tied to the rig with a leash.
I've got a homelite that I've had for a few years. No bigger or heavier than most electrics. But a lot more cutting power/speed.

Mark...

Perhaps you should buy a 12V cordless chainsaw and rig it up to accept your 12V power from your rig if needed.

I'm at work right now, but I can post a link to a company that makes inverters that can handle a stackable washer and dryer. They have some specifically rated for electric chain saws.

My question is whether or not a more powerful alternator and/or dual battery setup would be necessary.

The 18V cordless chainsaw might be useful for what you need it for. Toss the chainsaw with two fully charged battery in the back fo the LC, and you should be set. If you need more power, your can alway get a in-vehicle 12V battery charger for the cordless batteries.

Here is a review on the 18V cordless chainsaw.
http://www.epinions.com/content_210056220292

I help my buddies all the time with the "inverter" thing. Watts are simply amps multiplied by volts.

Want to run a drill from your cig lighter? 120 volts times 7 amps equals 800 watts, continuous. That's a fair size inverter.

I just use a 18 volt dewalt sawsall, they make huge blades for these things that will cut through anything. They are not all that expensive...try the Tool Crib for good prices.

Geez you guys, no sharp axes over there. Anything you would cut with those little saws you could drive over anyway.Go gas for sure also a good axe is handy.cheers.

My opinion, keep the gas saw. I don't believe in screwing around with under powered tools.
I keep mine in a 4 mil garbage bag with the bar off when it's being toted
around in the back. Fits in a milk crate.
I also really believe in an AXE. I can cut through any 8-10" tree laying over long before
most guys can start a chainsaw. No fuel, no smell, runs forever. I have a 3 1/3 lb ox head that is sharp.

Do you have a rear tire carrier? I'll post a pic of how I carry my Hq 372XP on my truck when I need it.
IMG_2368.JPG

Stihl makes a really good battery operated chainsaw. Can get a few hundred cuts out of it on a charge which should be plenty for any trail clearing.
I'll have to look that one up! ATV guys carry sawzalls up here. But not too sure on battery life. I've got an
old Ridgid 18V, and it eats batteries. I would not rely on it, but it is older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom