Power for gauges (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where are you guys taping into for power for gauges? Right on the fuse panel or somewhere else?

Also ill have to run a small step down convertor as im 24v and my gauges are 12v. Is it ok to run 2 gauges off one step down convertor?

I was shown this by a fellow member. It should do the trick. I know egt should have a ground right to the batt.

I plan to mount them where my radio block off plate is. Just need to fab some type of mount unless someone knows of a pretty decent fitting premade one out there.

Cheers!

The electrical engineer at Solar Converters told me not to share grounds with 24 and 12V systems. I don't understand why, just repeating what a knowledgeable source told me. If you use a converter, the 12V + and - should have dedicated wires to each component in the system.

Tapping the low battery for a 12 V source is common but causes uneven charging between batteries and shortens their lives.

Stone has a great thread on his conversion solution with a Solar Converter Equalizer here in the Diesel section. It is generally considered the best path to add 12 V radios, gauges, and trailer lights.

Good luck.

Will the gauges fit in the radio spot? I want to say I measured and it wasn't tall enough. I tapped my Dakota Digital power from the original power for the dash. I also have found some unused pigtails near the fuse box that I have used for power.

Yes they do fit. I did a test fit and it's perfect only going with 2 1/16 gauges also.

Bah I hate wiring

@Mr Cimarron

Fit perfect. Just have to make a sweet mounting plate up.

Amazon sells some sheets of 1/8" plastic that work perfect for that kind of thing. Or if you have access to CNC aluminum would be very nice.

I thought about that put the cobalt gauges are led it says so not sure if that's an option.

So i kinda like the idea of mounting them where the ashtray goes as ill never use it. Kinda seems cleaner and keeps the block off plate there also.

Auto meter got back to me and said max voltage for a cobalt led is 16v...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom