power converters in 2020 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm looking into doing the 24-12 stepdown converter in my BJ73. Based off research on the forum, it seems like the Solar Converter brand was the move. But I don't think those guys are in business anymore. I called a couple local solar shops and found the Orion Line made by Victron.

I guess my question is to go isolated or non isolated? I was planning on running a relay to the ACC function (off the stereo or cig lighter) so that there isn't a constant draw. Fusebox after the converter to break up individual circuits. Probably 20A for my needs would be more than enough.

It seems like the higher efficiency of a non-isolated system is tempting unless there's like a big no no reason to isolate.

Thoughts? TIA

Last edited:
Hmm. No response here. I'm looking to replace my stock converter in my HJ60. What's the difference between isolated and non-isolated? Did you purchase a converter yet? If so, which one - and are you happy with it?

I ended up going with a non isolated model- 10A ~ 40 bucks. Research found that isolation is more necessary for like hospitals than a car. Probably could have done some cheapy off amazon but I prefer something more quality. Haven't used it yet but everything seems kosher. Plus their higher end stuff has bluetooth capability which could be nice for more complex switched setups

Thanks for the response. I'll probably do the same then. Tomorrow I'm going to see if there is something obvious wrong with the stock unit (like something unplugged), but it's unlikely. Either way, a new unit is probably wise. Pretty sure any 30 year old unit is on it's way out.

Did you get the Victron 24-12 converter? And if so the IP67 one? Interested in your feedback when installed, if you did.

I have a Solar Converter in my BJ74 that will still doing service, but real world use on the Victron offerings would be good.

gb

Last edited:
I did get it- was able to pick up next day at Northern AZ Solar Supply. I went to install and it turns out that there's a converter on that circuit already. I can not for the life of me find it. I think I'm going to keep the Victron as a backup/replacement. Seems high quality though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom