Power but car won’t crank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning,

On my way to church yesterday, tried starting the engine, but the engine wouldn’t crank, but I still could receive power and what not. Went to local autozone to test my battery, and they said the battery was bad, so I bought a new one, slapped it in, and it worked just fine. This morning, tried to start the truck and the exact same thing happened. Basically, the battery gauge says the battery is about 5/6 full, and then when I go to start it, the gauge drops to zero. Yesterday, the gauge would go up and down, but today, after the first try, the battery gauge just stays at 0 and I receive no power whatsoever. Just received a jump from a neighbor and it started up like normal. Could it be the alternator, or something else? Thanks

It can be few things but check the obvious. You already have a new batt so take out the alt if you can and have that tested.

Check the wires/cables, (fusible link, ground etc). Just read that you have 95 with low miles.:cheers:

Last edited:
Details here are a little light, but let's establish some basics.

Get yourself a voltmeter if you don't have one. Measure the battery voltage while the key is off. A healthy batt is in the mid 12s at rest when fully charged. What voltage does yours show? Then jump the truck off and get it started. Measure the battery again. Should be in the mid-14 range. If it isn't, pull the protective boot back from the alternator output post and measure the voltage directly from the post. This should be in the mid-14s. If it isn't, you likely need alternator work or a replacement. If you're getting 14ish volts from the alternator you need to check and clean your cables.

If your alternator is indeed dead, pull it and then check the brushes. 5 fasteners get the back cover off and give access to the $10 brush assembly. These little guys are super common failures and are easy to replace.

Good morning,

On my way to church yesterday, tried starting the engine, but the engine wouldn’t crank, but I still could receive power and what not. Went to local autozone to test my battery, and they said the battery was bad, so I bought a new one, slapped it in, and it worked just fine. This morning, tried to start the truck and the exact same thing happened. Basically, the battery gauge says the battery is about 5/6 full, and then when I go to start it, the gauge drops to zero. Yesterday, the gauge would go up and down, but today, after the first try, the battery gauge just stays at 0 and I receive no power whatsoever. Just received a jump from a neighbor and it started up like normal. Could it be the alternator, or something else? Thanks

The gauge on the dash does NOT measure how "full" a battery is. It does not say it is 1/6, 3/6, or 5/6 full.

That is a Volt meter. It measures how many volts that the charging system is charging WHILE IT IS RUNNING.

Odds are this is a starter issue with the starter solenoid needing rebuilt or replacing the starter with a rebuilt unit from Denso. (RockAuto carries them)

This could also be bad battery connections / cables.

This cold also be a bad RS3000 Alarm control module that means it's time to rip out the alarm and all its wiring.

This cold also be a bad RS3000 Alarm control module that means it's time to rip out the alarm and all its wiring.

Good call. I forget about those little buggers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom