Power Brake Booster tricks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a trick for getting the Power Brake Booster out without removing the manifold? It doesn't want to come out... I'm ready to get the crowbar unless one of you has a trick....

Pull the master out far enough with the lines connected. Then pull the booster till it hits the manifold. I then take a pry bar between the manifold and booster and pop it sideways this is the only way I could get it out and back in with the manifold

yes, this is what I plan to do, I dont see any other way either.... all that room on the other side of the engine! They could have moved it over 2 inches for free!

It fits. A little at a time. Don’t pull the manifold! The fact that you stopped to ask means you are wise and patient.
Once it comes free you’ll have the new one installed in like 15 min.

I didn't use a crowbar or move the engine.

I did do some booster yoga and ended up with it upside down and it came out. I went back in the same way, started out upside down and it went in fairly easily. My hardest part was getting the bolts to hit the holes and not push the brackets out if the way. I had it within 1/2" and then fought it for another hour and a half.

I discovered I forgot to measure the MC depth and the booster rod, so now I have kind of a hard pedal and I'll get to take it back apart and adjust it when I get time.

This part seems to get the best of everyone welcome.
My second person was my wife. When frustrated myself I ask her to come out and check. It also takes my mind off the problem.

Quote " Have you tried turning it a little this way, wheel well direction?"
LO and BEHOLD Brake booster slipped right out like many Toyota parts.

Have heard from mechanics you can leave all master cylinder intact.
That's real mechanics, that do it everyday.

Me.
Loosened/disconnect the two lower and short lines to master brake cylinder. This gives more play to flex others.
Gently pull remaining MBC out of 4 bolts and towards engine. Save gasket
This is when the slight twist toward and to the front allow enough room.
Yes you do have to rebleed but that is pretty easy. I rebleed all four. Then test drive braking very hard to engage ABS system

This Job has other important details under dash for brake pedal adjustment. Push rod adjust etc. FSM

CAREFUL WITH GASKET BETWEEN MBC AND ALSO BRAKE BOOSTER AND FIREWALL. REUSED MINE
If I had been smarter would of ordered new gaskets. DAAAAooooh

Stopping the 80 is as much fun as flooring the pedal.
Dad that gets to test drive families 80 after repair.

OTRAM does a video of this process in his many, super useful YT vids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom