power assist steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a power assist steeering system from a old style ford f250. I tried a serch for power assist and found nothing. Has any one out there installed somthing like this or herd about it. thanks for the help.
Ryan

Try just "power steering" and you should get a lot of response to your search.

I thied that and all I got was a full power steering system. This is just a hydrolic cyl that mounts to the axle and then there is a valve that works with the pitman are. Can't seem to find anyone that has done this before.

I'm going that route sort of with a scout steering box. Maybe look up scout steering on here or just do a google search. Look up hydro assist too.

I would skip the f-250 hyd assist, even ford people admit it wasn't such a good idea, works on tractors though, my dad's international uses the same setup. The ford one works ok when it's farily new, but they dropped it for a reason, it has a lot of slop built into it to make the valve work, and they tend to leak, like a lot of cylinders with poor seal methods.
if you want hyd steering, go to a ported box, or if you think about it the char-lynn steering valve isn't unreasonably expensive from a shop that deals with char-lynn eaton direct. I sold one for $260, then all you need is a cylinder, $60-70 for a cross unit that will last forever in that application, but doesn't look as cool as the double ended units, and some hoses. a bigger resevoir would be a big help, but if it's a trail rig, you might get away with just installing a large cooler in the return line to add volume. or a piece of 4" pipe down low. or a junkyard steering box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom