Power Assist disc brakes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed front power assist disc brakes on my '69 Bronco and the difference in those brakes versus my '77 FJ55 is incredible. The disc brakes on the Pig are pathetic in comparison. I haven't seen a mod for the FJ55, or even the 40 for that matter that enhances the current set up. Am I wrong?

Are the drums properly adjusted?
Any cylinder leaks?
Pistons all free and operating onthe front?
What size tires are under it?
Everything is adjusted properly and working. Running 33 AT

The brakes work fine but no where near the stoping power of the Bronco

My 74' has 4 wheel disc ... it stops fantastic ... I like the way it stops better then the wife's sienna :meh:

The pig is the same weight as the bronco?

The rear drums on a cruiser are out of adjustment very quickly and very deceiving to actually get adjusted well... with the discs in front (of the pig) they are doing far more braking then the discs in the bronco ... bronco has self adjusters in rear don't they? Pig no

bronco has self adjusters in rear don't they? Pig no

I realize four wheel discs are the normal upgrade, but has anyone figured out a self adjusting slave cylinder to retrofit the drums of the stock 40? As stated, they work well when in adjustment. I don't run mud, if I can avoid it, so drums in back seem easier if all I had to upgrade was the slave cylinders?

What am I missing???
(1) Slave cylinders work the clutch, not the brakes???
(2) Do I understand that what you want/need is merely a power brake booster to be used with your FJ55 drum brakes???

Never heard of any self adjusting wheel cylinder retrofit.

Adjust the rear brakes and see how it feels. If it still doesn't measure up, then look for other possible issues. The work to
Reinvent the rear brakes likely doesn't outweigh a brake adjustment every couple months or so.

For self adjusting rear drums: Swap in a rear axle from an 8/80+ FJ40 or an FJ60 (includes parking brake upgrade or you run dual parking brakes, win win).

For the front, swap in the Birfields, knuckles, steering arms, spindle, hubs, rotors, calipers and locking hub from a 75-90 FJ40, 55, 60/62. I'd also swap in a master cylinder from the later trucks.

OP has a 77 FJ55 and front discs.

Newer rear axle would have its pluses, but other than less maintenance, the brakes should have the same power. I wasn't fond of manual front adjusters in a DD, but once I swapped to front discs, adjustment was a minor issue.

The 4 wheel discs worked fine for years... the pedal feel wasn't right (after 25+ years for the master) so I swapped in an 80 booster and master. The brakes are now crazy powerful with minimal pressure on the pedal. Moral: a new booster, master, pads, shoes, cylinders, calipers... start at the beginning and go from there. More can be done if needed. But unless you're wanting to spend money, work through it systematically and replace as needed.

hiya, anyone done the big tundra front disk brake upgrade? It looks like you have to go to 17" wheels but for a pig with a heavier front bumper with a winch and a rear bumper with a tire carrier, it might be worthwhile.

i've got the factory disk brake up front and the monte carlo rear disks and it does okay, but sometimes i'd like a bit more. i've thought about doing the big 4runner calipers like I got in the fj40, but I'd probably have to put new wheels or a wheel spacer to do it.

best, ty
:beer:

From what Iève read about 4Runner calipers the benefit is minimal. I'd swap in an 80 series master first &/or a 80 booster. In most cases, people are comparing worn out brakes to new 4Runner Calipers. One of the local Cruiser heads I've known for the last 25 years and Cruiser shop owners did a comparison between new 40 calipers and 4Runner calipers. The increase was limited.

When I upgraded to a 80 master & booster over a 40 master & booster, the braking increase was surprising. It'll lock up all 4 wheels on dry pavement at 30 mph with the pressure applied by two fingers.

bikersmurf, no FJ40's came with a 1 1/16" master cylinder piston, FJ80's did, that's your difference, you are moving more oil.

I know... more fluid + bigger booster + 4wheel Disc master = more :D

My 74 pig has drums all around, with the OEM booster. Braking is adequate. However, I just finished a front and rear disc brake conversion on the 40, with the same booster, and the braking is awesome (better than the wife's Escape). Based on that, I am seriously considering the same disc brake conversion on the pig.

BTW, the rear disc conversion is a piece of cake, so I would see no need to do a half-way job.

My 74 pig has drums all around, with the OEM booster. Braking is adequate. However, I just finished a front and rear disc brake conversion on the 40, with the same booster, and the braking is awesome (better than the wife's Escape). Based on that, I am seriously considering the same disc brake conversion on the pig.

BTW, the rear disc conversion is a piece of cake, so I would see no need to do a half-way job.
What kit did your get and from Where?

What kit did your get and from Where?

I did the one from JT Outfitters. The one from Man-a-fre is almost identical. Both use a master cylinder from a 93-94 FJ80. I chose (for fitment purposes) to use the OEM booster (they are still available) from 72-74 FJ40. It works fine, though many on this board prefer to use a spacer and a later dual stage booster, which I think is overkill. I just pulled a trailer into the mountains and back on my elk hunt, and the brakes were strong.

Some oldtimers on this board remember a few failures on the JT setup when he first started marketing them, but that was years ago, and the product today is excellent.

I was not impressed by the 4Runner calipers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom