Power antenna with new stereo. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all.

First off I did some searching and some looking for diagrams but I need some help that is probably an easy answer for someone out there.

Ill keep it short and sweet here. So my rig is a 97 FZJ. I did a complete redo of the stereo and Im trying to get the original antenna to work. I really dont care about whether or not it goes up and down with stereo power but I would like for at least the manual switch to work. Here is my situation in a nutshell.

: New head unit

: aftermarket amp, original removed

: Cut and splice at the dash for IGN , BAT , and ground

: no speaker wires used as I just ran pre outs to amp and ran all new speaker wires.

: Did not use an off the shelf harness adapter or any such obviously.

Anyone got any insight as to how to make this work? I even plugged the original amp back in and still got nothing so it seems that the original deck must have some circuit for the antenna to work.

I’m not familiar but start with bench testing. I’m assuming it worked prior but ensure it’s working on its own first.

Hook up a some jumpers direct to a 12 volt source to see what makes it tick.

It does require the original stereo, I believe. Looking at the EWD, two wires feed the control from the stock stereo.

Check out this thread, maybe it will have some more insight:

Hey all.

SNIP

: Did not use an off the shelf harness adapter or any such obviously.

SNIP

If you get the correct adapter, it's usually plug and play.

There should be two power leads, one in and one out. One is always on (for memory, etc) and the other is powered to the antenna mast assembly when you select the Tuner on the stereo head unit. Be sure to select Tuner as the source, or you'll get nothing on that wire and no action on the power antenna. IIRC, it's the gray wire (*but it's been a long time...)

Yeah I didnt use the adapter harness because i wasnt using the original speaker wires so it seemed silly to buy it jest to get 2 hots and a ground hooked up. Thanks for the insight so far. Ill be working on it more today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom