Power antenna mast replacement - Pics and How To (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished replacing the mast on my '96 LX450, and I published a page with full information and a bunch of pics at my website. Comments and corrections are most welcome!

One thing I would like to know so I can correct the page: what is the name and function of the finned aluminum electrical doodad that partially blocks the access hole to the antenna motor assembly?

http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/page4.htm

John Davies
Spokane WA

Nice pics and procedure. No idea what that thing is. Moving it provides the room needed, though. Link this to FAQ?

DougM

the finned thing is the fuel pump resistor, it reduces the voltage to the fuel pump durign low throttle positions, the pump bypasses the resistor to get full voltage during start and larger throttle positions. the fuel pump relay (same spot other side fo the engien bay) makes the conection changes.

the resistor makes heat, the aluminum heatsink and fins keep it from overheating.

I just added this to the FAQ. Hope you don't plan on deleting that page. If you do, let one of the Mods know and we can generate a thread here to replace it. Nice Job.

RavenTai - thanks very much for the heads-up on the "fuel pump resistor" - I have corrected the page. "Doodad" just doesn't seem like a very professional descriptor. I knew it must be some sort of resistor, with that heavily-finned aluminum housing, but I had no idea what it did.

Moderator - I don't plan on deleting the page, but I will not do so without lots of fair warning here.

John

Perfect! I'd like to know exactly how you removed the 12mm bolt holding the bracket. Mine is 10mm and is also spinning. Can't even get a gear wrench in behind there. I'm stalled at this point and the radio stations around here offer no incentive.

What are my options? Thanks

John E Davies said:
I published a page with full information and a bunch of pics at my website. Comments and corrections are most welcome!

Nicely done John.

I have fixed mine once or twice and it is broken again. I have the replacement mast but can't get motivated to do it again. I believe my mistake was not replacing the grease and not greasing the plastic gear before inserting it back in the mast. My bad.

You may want to note that this style antenna was on the LX variants and late 96 and all 97 Land Cruisers. Earlier LC's used a different style of mast.

-B-

rolliges said:
Perfect! I'd like to know exactly how you removed the 12mm bolt holding the bracket. Mine is 10mm and is also spinning. Can't even get a gear wrench in behind there. I'm stalled at this point and the radio stations around here offer no incentive.

What are my options? Thanks

The antenna bracket itself is threaded - there is no nut, unless someone installed one ;( Since your bolt has a 10 mm head, this may have happened in the past....

I was able to get the bolt to back out by wedging a long flat-bladed screwdriver between the inside of the opening and the inside of the mounting bracket, while turning the bolt. That provided enough tension to let the bolt unscrew. The bolt threads were wasted, but the bracket threads were fine.

If that doesn't work you can clamp the bolt head with needle-nosed vise grips and drill it off. That "ought to be" pretty quick and easy. You never know - so try prying first. The bolt I removed was very soft - probably to save the bracket threads in case of over torquing.

If my bracket were trashed, I would weld on a nut.

Good luck.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:
Beowulf said:
I have fixed mine once or twice and it is broken again. I have the replacement mast but can't get motivated to do it again. I believe my mistake was not replacing the grease and not greasing the plastic gear before inserting it back in the mast. My bad.

You may want to note that this style antenna was on the LX variants and late 96 and all 97 Land Cruisers. Earlier LC's used a different style of mast.

Yah - my grease wasn't very greasy, and the stuff on the remains of the cable was black (originally pale yellow) so I knew it was contaminated and wouldn't provide much slip. Grease hardens with age. Even if it looks pretty, it won't lubricate well if it is 10 years old.

I added the model info at the top of the article - thanks. I wasn't sure how far back this wonderful design went ;)

John

Power Antenna mast Replacement

I'm trying to find the "how to" on replacing my power antenna mast for on my 1997 Fjz-80. Can someone point me in the direction of the FAQ or other. The link I found with pics and step by step is broken.

I've got the OEM replacement - from Cruiser Dan.

Thanks in advance.

There are several threads on this and it is pretty obvious how to remove the unit and open it up to remove the broken mast.

You don't need to even remove the remains of the broken mast to install the new one in a couple of minutes. Just remove the old mast, grease up the new mast, insert the flex rod with the gear teeth facing the rear and then run the new mast in using the antenna down button. There is plenty of room to accomodate the remains of the old mast and the new mast and if it ever jams, you can just use the manual up down buttons until it frees up.

I'm trying to find the "how to" on replacing my power antenna mast for on my 1997 Fjz-80. Can someone point me in the direction of the FAQ or other. The link I found with pics and step by step is broken.

I've got the OEM replacement - from Cruiser Dan.

Thanks in advance.

Try this link. I think it's the one you're looking for. It's the one they made a FAQ out of at the beginning of this thread.

*** Bringing this thread from the dead***

I too have the broken mast with the cable still intact (96 LX450). I am wondering how I get the old cable out. I have tried having my wife run the up button but the motor stops before the cable comes out. I do not want to force and break something, but if thats whats needed, I will. Also is CDan still the best place? I have seen some others online offering what they call OEM masts for pretty cheap.

Thanks in advance.

More help needed. I have a 4/96 80 with a broken mast. The cable runs up and down. It does not have the "cogged" cable as shown in the pics in the link in this thread, it is smooth. Does that mean I have the earlier style antenna? There is no nut on the end of my cable, either, so does that mean the end was broken or cut off? If I can't fix it without going in there, I'm not putting another power antenna in it.

thanks!

Sounds as if you need to replace your ant and cable. Toyota should have that as a part on the shelf.
Other options replace whole ant with a aftermarket from a stereo store by you. You'll get a lashing for many true yota guys but it's cost vs broken ant sometimes.

If I have to fight my way in the fender to work on another antenna, the power unit is going in the trash and a rubber one in it's place. I was hoping to only replace the mast...

Sounds as if you need to replace your ant and cable. Toyota should have that as a part on the shelf.
Other options replace whole ant with a aftermarket from a stereo store by you. You'll get a lashing for many true yota guys but it's cost vs broken ant sometimes.

i took apart the older style antenna mast plus white whip cord on my 96 lc and honestly ... It wasnt that bad, take out the motor rip out all the old stuff, install the new cord have the motor self retract itself and bolt back into place... Took me less than an hour of fiddling to do one banana job

I didn't even think about putting the dead link into the wayback machine. I use it all the time and it still slipped my mind. Thanks for doing that.

A different URL was provided in the middle of this thread, and it is also dead. Even though it appears to be similar to the OP page, here is the archive of it Power Antenna Mast Replacement.

P.S. I still have not replaced my broken mast. I took the broken mast and cable out and unplugged the motor. It has been years of no antenna. I cannot decide if it is worth it. Radio stations sound fine without it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom