Power and start in 2nd gear buttons? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi.
Thanks for the info on what these buttons do.
Now, do they suppose to light on the dash when active? Or do the buttons light when on? Got my truck a couple years ago and since then I have no idea what they do, and I’m not sure if they even connected to anything, since nothing changes when toggling..

Hi.
Now, do they suppose to light on the dash when active? Or do the buttons light when on? Got my truck a couple years ago and since then I have no idea what they do, and I’m not sure if they even connected to anything, since nothing changes when toggling..
Pretty sure PWR shows up as ECT PWR, I don't know about 2nd. Your owners manual has all of this info about what lights should be appearing.

Hi.
Suggest go to the LC100 link at Post #4 in this thread. Click the "Change Vehicle" button and insert your vehicle year. The relevant Owners Manual then will download. The relevant buttons and instrument panel indicators will be found in the first few pages for the nominated vehicle. Further on in the Manual, look for an explanation of how and when these functions operate -- assuming that they are still connected ....

Hi.

^^^^

The buttons themselves do not light up separately, they ARE back-lit anytime you have your 'marker' lights turned on as are the shifter positions.

Indiators1.jpg

However, when you select OD (disable), PWR (ECT PWR ) or 2nd Start.........the indicator light should appear on the dash (provided your bulbs are working). See Below:

Indicator1.jpg

Indicator2.jpg

Indicator3.jpg

Thanks , I’ll check the owner’s manual.
Mine is an 05, but since the buttons don’t even light up, and no dash lights either, I’m guessing they’re disconnected. Never needed them, but it’ll be nice if they work.

No. Deep East Texas here.

Are 'physics' different in San Fran?

Just curious the thought process behind this?

The 'main' purpose for the 2nd start is to reduce torque (when initiating vehicle movement) to avoid wheel spin on slippery surfaces (I.E. Ice, Snow). Many folks use the feature in Low Range to avoid a harsh 1-2 shift or just to start in a higher gear than 'low'.

If you have a specific reason for doing this that would benefit others, perhaps you could 'share' or expound a little.

I'm not challenging your choice, just genuinely curious as to why?

Nope, physics are the same as in Texas. It's just to avoid the transmission shifting from 1st to 2nd while in traffic. Too often, while in traffic, by the time it shifts to 2nd the vehicle has to be stopped. So to avoid that I'll just use the 2nd start and drive through traffic. Hope your thought process understands this.

Nope, physics are the same as in Texas. It's just to avoid the transmission shifting from 1st to 2nd while in traffic. Too often, while in traffic, by the time it shifts to 2nd the vehicle has to be stopped. So to avoid that I'll just use the 2nd start and drive through traffic. Hope your thought process understands this.

Fully capable of understanding that. Thanks for 'finally' sharing your reasoning for it. Had you included this in your initial post we would all have been the wiser a page earlier. Good to know. Those who drive in B to B traffic might give it a try.

Yeah I am not following this logic either.. errrr whaaaht?

update - NM I saw ur reasoning.

Well....its goes against the logic for the 'common' use of the button, but the OP has found it useful in another way (for him). Which is great.

His first post had me scratching my head a bit and when I inquired about it....got an elusive answer. Finally...he revealed his reasoning for it.

In the end...maybe others in Slow/Heavy traffic can use it the same way he does. Who knows. I'm open minded about it.

I used this same idea as we crawled through some heavy beach traffic this weekend.

I too get annoyed with constant shifting in stop and go, in my old manual I would use the same idea and only use 2nd and feather the gas and just roll right above typical idle instead on reving up and down constantly in 1st and feel the engine brake instead of coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom