Power and start in 2nd gear buttons? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are these buttons?
FCD67204-9A11-4FB5-BC23-545914116112.jpeg

In that same general area there is one more thing to know about. Shifter Lock Out 'Over-Ride' button (underneath the small cover). You might need to use it someday.

Override.jpg

Override1.jpg

Override2.jpg

2nd start will skip first gear and start your rig in second gear. The reason for this is to avoid wheel spin and too much torque. In my experience it is used mostly in 4low when 1st gear is to much torque for the given terrain

PWR is supposed to hold your gears longer and hit higher rpms but I have never seen this have any effect on my rpms or driving so I only press the power button as a joke now a days as I chug along

Someone else mentioned it in a different thread, but I have found the PWR button make a significant improvement if you engage it for steep hills at highway speed. Thats about the only time I use it.

Someone else mentioned it in a different thread, but I have found the PWR button make a significant improvement if you engage it for steep hills at highway speed. Thats about the only time I use it.

I use it towing....as it DOES hold the transmission points a bit longer.

Now why would you go point that out. Now i have to go learn when i might need to use that. Thanks a damn lot! :beer:
If your engine is down and you need to move the truck for whatever reason, push that button then shift trans to neutral.

power = higher shift points in the revs

2nd start = starts you off in 2nd gear instead of 1st.. lets say in a snowy situation too much torque on first will make you spin, softer slower 2nd will just feather you off the spot.

The function of those buttons is simply another bulb to replace when you waste your money upgrading to LEDs inside of the rig.

(Raises hand) Guilty

Now why would you go point that out. Now i have to go learn when i might need to use that. Thanks a damn lot! :beer:
^^^^
:rofl:

If certain things in your brake light circuit fail....you won't be able to shift out of park without first correcting them OR using the over-ride.

IF your battery falls below a certain voltage you also will not be able to shift out of park.

I don't know exactly why Mr. 'T' burdened us with this.....but he did. So I thought you should know. Well that....and I can be insufferable. ;)

I leave the PWR button on all the time and notice a significant difference in the way it delivers power. I have not noted any change in fuel consumption and in fact my highest MPG rating ever of 17.2 I think it was came while using this button on a 3-hr highway cruise, and no I don't baby the pedal.

I started using the 2nd start button during bumper to bumper traffic, it keeps engine in lower revs and less torque.

I'm trying to understand the benefit of that?

If you live in the SF Bay Area you’ll know. Give it a try.

No. Deep East Texas here.

Are 'physics' different in San Fran?

Just curious the thought process behind this?

The 'main' purpose for the 2nd start is to reduce torque (when initiating vehicle movement) to avoid wheel spin on slippery surfaces (I.E. Ice, Snow). Many folks use the feature in Low Range to avoid a harsh 1-2 shift or just to start in a higher gear than 'low'.

If you have a specific reason for doing this that would benefit others, perhaps you could 'share' or expound a little.

I'm not challenging your choice, just genuinely curious as to why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom