1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

powdercoating

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by carsonmac, Mar 25, 2004.

1. carsonmac

carsonmac

For any of you all who have powdercoated your wheels or anything else, I am thinking about powdercoating my wheels. Is it something that you could do yourself? I got a few estimates from local shops and they were all right around $135, I would much rather do it myself and save the $ if it can be done.

2. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

You might search the web on powder coating. It's a little more that sprinkling some dust on a part and hitting it with a hair dryer.

3. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

It can be done yourself but you would need an oven that could fit your wheel in. And I doubt you'd want to use this oven for cooking ever again. Check here for more details for the DIYer.

http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/

Have you considered bead blasting the wheel and then spraying some clear o? This would be much cheaper.

4. RavenTai

RavenTai

power coating takes equipment that would be cost prohibitive for a one time job

if you don't want to pay for powder coat they why not rattle can them? if you spend some time on prep it will look just as good, not quite as resistant chipping but rattle can can be fixed quickly and cheaply when it does unlike powder coat

5. Safado

Safado

[quote author=carsonmac link=board=2;threadid=13709;start=msg127042#msg127042 date=1080251403]
    For any of you all who have powdercoated your wheels or anything else, I am thinking about powdercoating my wheels. Is it something that you could do yourself? I got a few estimates from local shops and they were all right around $135, I would much rather do it myself and save the $ if it can be done.
    [/quote]

Is that 135 for all 5? If so that's a pretty killer deal? Two local shops here charges $35 a rim...and that's considered pretty decent.

6. carsonmac

carsonmac

Thats just for 4, I figure if I ever had to use a spare I wouldn't mind if it wasn't powdercoated.

7. Safado

Safado

That's still < $35 a wheel. As far as the spare goes, do you ever plan on getting a rear swing away? Are you going put the spare into rotattion with the others as the FSM "suggests?" I posted in a previous thread what the real costs of PC are, you might want to see if he'll throw you a deal on the 5th wheel while he's at it. Good luck.

8. carsonmac

carsonmac

That's true I forgot about rotating in the spare, that would look weird if all 5 were not coated. If I do end up going through with this I will definitely do all 5.

9. scottm

scottm

Media:
    Albums:
    I had a set of wheels done long ago in Texas. The guy had a standard kitchen oven in his paint shop, that's what he baked them in. The oven looked clean and useable, no smell or anything I noticed. I put a wheel in my oven once after touching it up with paint, it dried quickly with no smell. My wife didn't seem to notice anything, and she's pretty picky about smells and such.

10. RavenTai

RavenTai

wile we are talking about spares hijack:

my truck still has the original spare with rubber nubbies and everything, 0 miles, the PO just put on a new set of matching LTX's, is an 8 year old spare still road worthy? It has some pretty good permanent dents in the side wall from the cross member, hopefully they would come out after running, I guess I should try it some day because if it is not road worthy it is not a good spare

how do you decide of witch goes to the spare spot, lowest tread depth?

11. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    So long as it is not dry rotted anyplace, that spare should be fine...

Good luck!

-Steve

12. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

[quote author=RavenTai link=board=2;threadid=13709;start=msg127197#msg127197 date=1080270544]
    my truck still has the original spare with rubber nubbies and everything, 0 miles, the PO just put on a new set of matching LTX's, is an 8 year old spare still road worthy? [/quote]

Tires have a shelf life of about 7 years when not exposed to the elements (UV especially). I would replace it.

As for powdercoating, perhaps you could just buy another set...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43956&item=2469050397

(no affiliation)

13. inacoma

inacoma

Funny I should read this post...as i'm in process of doing the same.

I'm wanting to remove the chrome (it's chippingand too bling bling for me) from my LX450 wheels so that I can have 5 matching for 5 wheel rotation. The powder coater I was going to use said he didn't like stripping chrome wheels as it cut in on a LOT of his shop time for sand blasting....of course he would do it, but would charge me extra. His price for non-chrome + powder coating was 40.00 per wheel (set up charge of 35.00 if I wanted a color other than gloss black or semi gloss black). His job for JUST powder coating was 20.00 per wheel.

Luckily earier in the day I found a sandblasting shop that said they would blast them for 10.00 per wheel!!!!

...so for 30 bucks a wheel, i'm going semi-gloss (again no shiny bling bling)!!! I think a great deal.

...now I just need to get my 40 roadworthy so that i can affoard the down time on my daily driver.

Kumar

14. lagwagon

lagwagon

Kumar, I can't believe how cheap that place is. Can you ask how big their oven is for me or email me the name of the shop? I went with 60% semi-gloss and uv protection but to be honest they look good with brake dust so it looks flat.

15. carsonmac

carsonmac

Lag-So you did 60% semi-gloss and 40% what?

16. KnoxFJ62

KnoxFJ62

carsonmac
    Are you in Knoxville? Assuming by the UT avitar?

17. carsonmac

carsonmac

Yep I am, theres 2 other guys on here from Knoxville, we ought to get together sometime and take a trip up to Windrock to do some wheelin'. Go Vols!!!

18. KnoxFJ62

KnoxFJ62

Cool man! Im here in Knox as well and hopefully getting ready to get a lift put on my FJ62 then I will be ready for some wheelin. Do you reccomend any place in town to install a lift kit? I was thinking of Smokey Mountain Offroad off north central rd? Any thoughts? :cheers:

19. carsonmac

carsonmac

Jim's Off-Road in Oak Ridge may do it, but with a lot of those places they won't do it unless you order the parts through them, I'm going to be putting a lift on my 1992 here in a couple of weeks and then I'll be set as well, good luck.

20. KnoxFJ62

KnoxFJ62

If not windrock soon hope to see you at GSMTR this year. Let me know what your truck looks like if your going and I will look for you. I think a bunch of us from last year will be camping together. (All the wagons that is). :D