Powdercoating Tie Rod Ends (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone cut apart a 40 series tie rod end before? Was wondering if they have a plastic wear surface or if they are all alloy. The 555 from Cruiser Outfitters is what I am interested in. I have the OEM units but not sure if they are the same. Part will get between 400 and 425 *F during cure.

Last edited:
Not exactly sure what you are getting at. I've got the 555 rod ends on my rig. Are you asking if they will survive a trip to the powder coater?

Not exactly sure what you are getting at. I've got the 555 rod ends on my rig. Are you asking if they will survive a trip to the powder coater?
No, I AM the powder-coater. I am asking if the tie rods contain a plastic wear surface.

Last edited:
I highly doubt there is any plastic in there other than the rubber boots. Too much stress on those guys to have plastic hold up. But I still wouldn’t powder coat them. It’s too easy to hit them with some high zinc primer and paint. Just mask off the threads and coat them with anti seize.

You might want to contact the manufacture then.

I highly doubt there is any plastic in there other than the rubber boots. Too much stress on those guys to have plastic hold up. But I still wouldn’t powder coat them. It’s too easy to hit them with some high zinc primer and paint. Just mask off the threads and coat them with anti seize.
Powdercoating is as easy if not easier than painting. A lot of newer tie rods contain a plastic "bushing" of sorts. It would be difficult to call 555 and get this information. I may end up painting them, but I may also zip one of the old ones apart with the plasma cutter for fun.

It would be interesting if you don’t mind sacrificing the rod end. Compare it to the cutaway diagram in the FSM. Some rod ends come with a black phosphate coating as well. FWIW I’m very happy with my 555’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom