Powder Coating (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I have a great bumper from Slee but I want to add to it. I’m going to add a “brush guard” or front hoop to it. My question is after I grind off the beautiful powder coating to weld, what would be the preferred method of refinishing it. Can you powder coat just the new bar or do you have to powder coat the whole bumper over again?

Scott_sFZJ80 said:
Ok, so I have a great bumper from Slee but I want to add to it. I’m going to add a “brush guard” or front hoop to it. My question is after I grind off the beautiful powder coating to weld, what would be the preferred method of refinishing it. Can you powder coat just the new bar or do you have to powder coat the whole bumper over again?

I know very little about this but believe you have to do the whole thing. From what I understand they put a charge on the object and pump in the powder that clings to the cherged object then they bake it on. So the powder will collect on the entire object.

Hopefully someone with more knoledge will chime in and agree or disagree with my description.

If you want it powder coated, get the whole thing done. The rest of the bumper will need to be prepped for proper adhesion.

If you want to use liquid on the bumper, that will work as well. I would suggest priming the bare metal spots. Let dry completely, sand the complete bumper (lightly and to feather out the new primer to powder) and coat the whole thing in liquid. The powder coating will act as a great primer for the liquid.

You will have to get the whole thing re-coated, and it will probably cost you. The old powdercoating will have to be stripped first and us powdercoaters don't like taking off powder because it's a pain. It's only painted, it shouldn't cost that much because paint can be mediablasted.

You can powder coat an object twice without any issues. The only problem is making sure that there are no oils on it.

I actually powder coated my head light trim rings and rear heater out of my fj55 twice because I was not happy with the first try. Second run came out fine.

Chuck

PS

My neighbor and I built our own oven, internal dim. are 5'L x 2'W x 3'T, we have less than $300 in the whole project including gun and 7 diff powders.

Yotahilux said:
You can powder coat an object twice without any issues. The only problem is making sure that there are no oils on it.

I actually powder coated my head light trim rings and rear heater out of my fj55 twice because I was not happy with the first try. Second run came out fine.

Chuck

PS

My neighbor and I built our own oven, internal dim. are 5'L x 2'W x 3'T, we have less than $300 in the whole project including gun and 7 diff powders.

My opinion is that there are more than one issue with recoating a part, but cleanliness and preparation are the most important as you suggest.

I suggest that if you are having it done, ask around and get some detailed quotes to make an informed decision. A good powdercoating job will last a long time, but a bad one will only be a headache.

Almost all powder coatings can be recoated if prepped properly for adhesion. Some coatings, like PPG PCT series, do not have to be prepped for a recoat. That is if they are clean.

For example, Using PPG powder, if you take a part out of the oven and find that it is light, you can simply recoat it at that time and throw it back in the oven.

With most other brands you will need to sand before recoating.

And yes, I am affiliated....I service PPG powder and liquid accounts :)

Oven

Yotahilux, got plans? or a description of how you built
your oven? thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom