Powder coating steering knuckles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just a quick question about powder coating the steering knuckles. Is it ok to do? Im in the middle of a front end rebuild and since i do powder coating as a hobby i was wondering if its ok to do? Providing everything is masked off correctly will the heat affect the part? The part needs to reach a temp of @400 degrees for around 10-15 minutes. Since it cast it will most likely have to be out gased first then cooled and cleaned. Anyone ever done or had it done?

Thanks in advance.

I think you will be fine. That is low temp for cast iron and low amount of time.

Not worth the trouble. Just paint them.
I stripped mine clean of old paint & oil & grime (but no sand blasting) and painted them the old fashioned way with lots of coats of Rustoleum satin black brushed on paint (with a brush not spray).
It looked great and lasted "forever".
A properly lubed knuckle cavity with the right grease will eventually get grimey from migrating grease oil coating everything. No matter what coating you choose (PC or alkyd brush on paint) the knuckles won't look pretty for very long. They'll be protected but dirty - unless you climb under the truck occasionally to clean them

If you want to spend money, take them to a machine shop and have them boiled clean to remove all the surface contaminants , then as OSS sez, paint by hand. I used POR15, 10 years ago (Calif) and they still look fine.

I've been on a high temp paint kick then clear coat and bake for an hour at 200°F per the clear hard coat instructions.

I don't think you should powder coat them, best bet is chrome plate :p

Thanks for the help guys. I just wouldnt mind having a "custom" color is all. If i can find the color in pain then so be it. It would take less time to pc than paint but we will see.

Thanks again

I've been on a high temp paint kick then clear coat and bake for an hour at 200°F per the clear hard coat instructions.

I don't think you should powder coat them, best bet is chrome plate :p
....oooooo. chrome plate. Yes. Actually i have a chrome powder coat....lol

I'm half joking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom