1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powder Coating New OEM Steel Wheels

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Waorani, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Waorani

Waorani

I think I've read just about every thing on here about original wheel color and powder coating stock wheels with the hubcap clips. I just got 5 new wheels from CDan and would like to powder coat them but I'm wondering about the orginal black coating that comes on these. Does anyone know if its a paint or actually a powder coat or any other details?

Just out of curiosity I stuck one in an oven last night and baked at 500F for an hour or so and it didn't seem to have any effect. Where I'm going with this is I'm wondering if its possible to apply powder over that primer/anti-corosion finish without having to first strip to bare metal? I don't have the correct color at the moment or I'd just give it a try.

If they truly do need to be stripped/blasted - I'll probably try to get it done professionally. The thought of blasting 5 wheels is not to appealing right now. And along those lines - anyone know of a good powder coating shop anywhere near east central Alabama?

2. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    pretty sure the black that comes on the wheels is not powder coating, if so its really s***ty as I knocked some off just move the wheels(in boxs) to the attic

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">