Powder coat stock rims *or* new black steel rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im on the fence right now on whether to buy new black steel rims or powder coat the stock aluminum rims. cost is a factor.

If I powder coat, I have no idea how much it costs, and I have the dilema of having to prop up my rig, get the tires unmounted, and let it sit in the driveway for a few days on blocks.

If I go with the black steel for about $100 a piece, I can sell the stock rims (anyone care to chime in with a recom. of a fair price to ask?) and have them swapped out in a day.

I am entirely unfamiliar with what the pro's and con's of each wheel. Maybe something about either would sway my decision.

:beer:

LX_TREME said:
Back in '96 i powder coated upper intake Nissan 300ZX TwinTurbo (Ligt Green powder coated pic)

I think I just threw-up in my mouth a little bit... ;)

Nantucket, I think you should sell your stock alloys to me for $50 :D

FirstToy said:
Nantucket, I think you should sell your stock alloys to me for $50 :D

$50 each? sold! :D

I like the look of the stock wheels, and I dug up some pics in the archives of some 100 wheels done in Graphite and Matte Black, real nice. Still far from a decision though.

I just powdercoated a set of wheels...looking back should have just bought a set of steel wheels. Powder coating gets to beat up on the trails.

I think both are cool. I would like to have the stock alloys powdered, but. . . . i also would like to have two sets of wheels/tires. One set for AT or highway tires and another set for the gnarly mudders. The highway set will run on the stock alloys, now do i want to keep them the stock color or powdercoat black? Not sure, but i know i'll have a set of black steel wheels with the mudders on them. So is two sets of black wheels too much? I don't know, guess i'll find out some day.

I only 'wheel on the beach, so im not concerned with banging up either rim. although the 18th century curbs in town are vicious...

Im looking at TLC's "Nascar" for $100 each. Then I can sell the stock rims. Won't have to worry about down time. http://www.tlc4x4.com/2000/Parts/tlc_custom_rims.htm

but dang it! look how perty that is! (just envision the shape of an 80 rim m'kay?)

attachment.php

Last edited:
Boy, who has all this money for powdercoating? Duplicolor "Fresh Cast", makes a nice graphite grey on rims :)

Nantucket,
You can get a set of American Racing "NASCAR" style wheels for around $70/rim. I have some 15X8 for sale if you are interested. They look good, but to be honest I think the factory rims powdered black looks great. Check out "Gumby's" ROTW thread. https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=45185 That's a nice looking LC.

Look at the ROTW Roberto had a sweet 80 with powder coated stock aluminum wheels. very easy to clean:)

Gumby,

What type of powedercoating kit did you get? I'm not very familiar with the process.

I did mine at a local shop for $80... took a while because they did them with a big batch of gloss black.

I purchased a used set off ebay, powdercoated them, swapped tires and then sold my extra set of wheels.

TLCSIdeshotsmall.jpg

Makes restoring the center caps really easy!

My rims weren't in great shape. Too much acid in winter driving (snow melt). I decided to paint them I just Rustoleum Silver Metallic. I did try one in the charcoal grey metallic but my wife didn't like it. It has been 6 months now. Several trips to the power wash, several gravel road trips, etc... and the paint seems to be sticking and holding up great. I actually got the idea from Cruiser Ken as he did his 80 wheels flat black. He's had his done for a couple of years. Three advantages over powdercoating: 1. you can leave the tires on 2. it is easy to redo should you get a scratch 3. Price 2 cans will do 5 wheels the Rustoleum Charcoal grey metallic is really neat looking, my wife just didn't buy into it. It also works great if your grill is all chipped up.

slick621 said:
Gumby,

What type of powedercoating kit did you get? I'm not very familiar with the process.

Eastwood's basic kit. eastwood's page

Basically, you just sandblast the rims, powdercoat them and bake them in an old oven. If you really want a flawless finish, have them done. If you want to bash them on rocks, get the Eastwood kit. You can do all kinds of other stuff as well.

Gumby said:
Eastwood's basic kit. eastwood's page

Basically, you just sandblast the rims, powdercoat them and bake them in an old oven. If you really want a flawless finish, have them done. If you want to bash them on rocks, get the Eastwood kit. You can do all kinds of other stuff as well.

Can you just spray paint aluminum wheels??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom