Poverty Packing Europe - 1994 HZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi from Portugal

My name is João ( same than John ) Rangel - Portcruiser . I am a 64 years young GP doctor ( still working ) , married to Teresa ( also MD ) , 1 son 27 , 1 daughter 25 . Like you I have a passion for Land Cruisers and I own a few of them :) ! Wife says too many , but there is no such thing as too many Land Cruisers ! One of my favourites is the HZJ80 !

Some days ago I found Bottombracket's HZJ80 build of his wonderfull HZJ80 , and how much it was appreciated ! I sure did ! So much , that I decided to "hijack" his thread title (sorry) , just to show Bottombracket and all of you that appreciate the 80 , my Poverty Pack , Euro spec , 1994 HZJ80 . Hope you enjoy !

My 80 , is an HZJ80L-GCMRSW . The W indicates that is European Market . By the serial # , it was built 1st January 1994 , and it was sold new in Belgium . The 1st owner , a Belgian national , moved to Portugal with the 80 in 1996 , when it was registered with Portuguese license plates . It is the Standard version of the 80 , commonly know as Poverty Pack :

- No central locking
- No electric windows
- No electric adjustable mirrors
- No rev counter , no oil pressure gauge , no voltmeter . Just the temp meter , fuel level and speedometer .
- Rear Barn doors , with rear fog lights and rear wipers .
- No AC (yet)
- No eLockers (yet)
- Permanent 4WD , with center diff lock
- 4 disks all around
- Full floater rear axle
- Single fuel tank
- Light Metalic Silver original colour - now it is 045 white .
- No radio , but 2 factory small speaker at the bottom of the dash .

The 1st owner went to live in Algarve , the most southern region of Portugal , with a dry , warm climate . Late 1996 it was sold to a guy who lived at small town , Castro Verde , some km north , but still a very dry , warm climate . This later fellow , did quite a lot of travelling with the 80 in Africa : Tunisia , Lybia , Morocco , Mauretania , Senegal , Guinea Bissau , but the 80 was well maintained and still drives and runs very well . I did some more things that were needed , like new injection nozzles , a valve adjustment , all new fluids , brake pads , and took off a lot of non original electrical wiring , the only real bad thing with my 80 .
Did some add ons : Kienzle stereo , VDO rev counter ( wired to the alternator W terminal and properly calibrated ) , factory headlight cleaners , and a factory cruise control ( cannibalised from a 1995 24 valve wreck - not a simple job , but works perfectly ) .

Enough spoken , let's see some pictures .
IMG_0465.jpeg

This 1s picture was the day I picked the 80 . Factory wheels , AFN roof rack and front bumper . 235/85-15 BFG tyres

IMG_0024.jpeg

This one , with the factory wheels and original dimension tyres for the HZJ80 in Europe : 215/80-16

IMG_0087.jpeg

Not one , but two VIN plates . A Belgian thing . The 2nd one written in French and Dutch , to state the towing capacity .

IMG_0088.jpeg

Last edited:
Some more pics , now with the these very special Fagix wheels . These Fagix wheels were made in France , from a very special alloy , and were commissioned by a Toyota french team , that raced at the Dakar rally . These are light , beautiful and tough wheels .

IMG_0097.jpeg

IMG_0095.jpeg

IMG_0093.jpeg

IMG_0098.jpeg

IMG_0094.jpeg

Some more pics :) !

IMG_0092.jpeg

Factory Cruise Control , taken from a 1995 24valve HDJ80 UK wreck . Works perfectly . A blessing on the highways , on long trips trough Spain to Morocco , and in Morocco modern highways . Lots of highway kms , before we reach the southern desert . This 80 is slow , the comfortable speed is 100-110 km/h , because the reduced gearbox and diff gears . At 110 km/h , the engine revs at 2700RPM with 235/85-16 tyres . Note also the OBD 1 plug .

IMG_0107.jpeg

Rear fog lights switch and headlight cleaner switch .

IMG_0106.jpeg

Center diff lock , rear defogger switch , Kienzle mechless stereo .

IMG_0102.jpeg

I really didn't like the original gear shift and transfer knobs as they were crumbling apart , so I took some old ones that lived in my parts stash , and voilà , much better :) !

Last edited:
Hey, look at that! Poverty packin' has gone international!

Beautiful truck, João

Simple under the hood, simple dash, simple floor. Some things are just better left uncomplicated. :)

Hey, look at that! Poverty packin' has gone international!

Beautiful truck, João
Thanks Bottombracket ! These European spec Poverty Pack/STD versions , are a true rarity here in Europe . Most of them were sold in Germany and Switzerland . Probably 1 or 2% of all 80 series sold in Europe . They were not much cheaper than the turbo , luxury versions . Your HZJ80 , was probably sold , in Belgium , Holland or Gibraltar . The important suppliers of Land Cruiser to the UN are located there .
Switzerland got the Holy Graal of all the Poverty Pack/STD versions : factory 24 valve turbo diesel , triple locked , sometimes AC , barn doors HDJ80s from 1995-1995. Just like you wish to setup yours , but new from factory . Sometimes they show up for sale , always expensive , but well maintained , minor rust ( Swiss guys are usually very careful with rust ) .
Some more photos of mine

IMG_0109.jpeg

Spare wheel in trunk . The Fagix wheels don't fit the factory spare wheel winch .

IMG_0104.jpeg

Rear vinyl Seats

IMG_0059.jpeg

My daughter didn't miss this mark :) ! It would be impossible to me to take this photo , as I was driving in a heavy storm with 60MPH gusts of wind

IMG_0099.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome, it’s a goal of ours to move to Portugal. Such an underrated beautiful country
Thanks ! It is a beautiful country indeed . And you are most welcome :) ! And let's keep it underrated :) !
Now , some pics of my HZJ80 im my beautiful country !

IMG_1921.jpeg

Medieval church at S. Bento do Cando , a small medieval village , on the most other part of Portugal , about 50km from were I live . Altitude 1400 meters , some winters it snows here . Great tracks in these mountain area .

IMG_1926.jpeg

IMG_2166.jpeg

This one is a rough track . This part of the track is 4km that take at least 1 hour to make , if no problems :) !

Last edited:
Bottombracket , I took the next photo specialy for you . I noticed that the hinges of the barn doors on your HZJ80 don't have these plastic caps . it is a good idea to fit them as they are cheap and a good protection against water and dust . Sooner than later , without these caps , the hinges will rust or seize .

IMG_0113.jpeg

Last edited:
Euro spec barn doors can be problematic ! They have windshield wipers , window defoggers ( that work ) , squirters and fog lights ! My HZJ80 , was light metallic grey (181) from new . The previous owner painted it 045 white . Good choice , but they could not properly reassemble the complex mechanism of the rear wipers , squirters and the electric wiring to the fog lights and window defoggers . Specialy on the smaller driver's side door that has a pantograph mechanism for the wiper . Nothing worked . Difficult to repair , but my electrician did the job perfectly . I helped a little :) !

IMG_0110.jpeg

IMG_0111.jpeg

This door card is in poor condition , but it is too expensive , I cannot justify the price .

Last edited:
Beautiful truck!

I've been searching off and on for one of these for a couple of years now. Hard to find nice ones. As the OP said, they're pretty rare.

BTW, if anyone's interested in getting one of the "holy grail" poverty pack 80-series, with 1HD-FT turbo diesel, 5-speed, ambulance doors in rear, vinyl seats and floors, no sunroof, hand crank windows, manual locks, air conditioning, front and rear electric differential locks, and it's even a good color--moonglow pearl--there's one for sale in France right now. If you're in the USA, you'd need to wait until March 2021 to bring it in, but that's not too long and cheap storage is easy to find in Europe. I'll put a link to the ad in the classifieds.

Unusual that a DX 80 (mine is the same config but Australian market) came with full-time 4wd. Mine is factory part-time 4wd. Looks really well cared for which is a bonus!

One thing I've been considering with the barn door inside trims is getting rid of them and replacing them with aluminium checkerplate and using rivnuts mounted into where the plastic clips would mount to hold cut-to-fit checkerplate onto the doors. I've considered trying to find stainless steel checkerplate (say 2 or 3 mm thick) as an alternative.

New original door trims are completely NLA out of Toyota as far as I can tell. There is a mob here in Australia that makes replacement door trim panels (bare) out of laser-cut masonite sheet as well as aluminium checkerplate but I think they're only doing them for the side doors not the rear 'standard opening back' barn doors. BTW I hate and will never own a tailgate-version 80 series. ;)

The washer/squirter setup for the barn doors it an absolute PITA so I got rid of it off my 80. All the parts for the barn door wipers were still available new out of Toyota last time I sourced some parts for mine a couple of years ago. Here in Oz rear wipers are not really very helpful so they hardly get used.

Last edited:
Unusual that a DX 80 (mine is the same config but Australian market) came with full-time 4wd. Mine is factory part-time 4wd. Looks really well cared for which is a bonus!

One thing I've been considering with the barn door inside trims is getting rid of them and replacing them with aluminium checkerplate and using rivnuts mounted into where the plastic clips would mount to hold cut-to-fit checkerplate onto the doors. I've considered trying to find stainless steel checkerplate (say 2 or 3 mm thick) as an alternative.

New original door trims are completely NLA out of Toyota as far as I can tell. There is a mob here in Australia that makes replacement door trim panels (bare) out of laser-cut masonite sheet as well as aluminium checkerplate but I think they're only doing them for the side doors not the rear 'standard opening back' barn doors. BTW I hate and will never own a tailgate-version 80 series. ;)

The washer/squirter setup for the barn doors it an absolute PITA so I got rid of it off my 80. All the parts for the barn door wipers were still available new out of Toyota last time I sourced some parts for mine a couple of years ago. Here in Oz rear wipers are not really very helpful so they hardly get used.
Here in Portugal , where I live , Viana do Castelo , north of Portugal , it rains A LOT , so the rear wipers/washers are important . As you say a real PITA to set up wright , but without that the truck wouldn't pass the mandatory anual inspection . When I bought the truck I also bought the last available set of plastic tubes and squirters in Europe for the rear doors at that time . Can't say if they are NLA now .

I wish we could get something like this in America.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom