Poverty Pack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where did that one come from?
Northern California for the first 21 years, then Utah for the remainder. Literally driven by a little old lady. All service done at Toyota dealerships.

That's funny - I have a friend in SLC that saw a white poverty pack running around SL County - driven by a lady.

I see your video had a location mention of Woods Cross which is a town about 20 minutes north of SLC. I wonder if it is the same one or if perhaps there is still another one out there.

Where did that one come from?
If you’re asking about mine, it’s from Europe. The photo is from just before it got loaded onto the ship.
Ultimate dream for me. Details on it?
Long story that will be told in due time. It’s a 1997 LHD HDJ80. 1HD-FT turbo diesel, H151 5-speed, full-time 4WD, 3x locked, a/c, vinyl floors and seats, manual roll up windows, swing out back doors, no sunroof, and flareless. Under 100k original miles.

Last edited:
If you’re asking about mine, it’s from Europe. The photo is from just before it got loaded onto the ship.

Long story that will be told in due time. It’s a 1997 LHD HDJ80. 1HD-FT turbo diesel, H151 5-speed, full-time 4WD, 3x locked, a/c, vinyl floors and seats, manual roll up windows, swing out back doors, and flareless. Under 100k original miles.
Dream rig.

Can't wait for that story.

This has been an interesting thread, mine is not rare but a bit odd with its option choices. It's a 97 white collectors addition without the roof rack or wing but came with running boards. Seems odd since running boards were part of the option package unless it came with them but were never installed at the port. It did not have the fake woodgrain but has factory lockers, the gold package and chrome wheels, not the collectors or anniversary wheels which also seems odd. Either way not important, since the running boards, gold and chrome wheels are gone now.

Lone Pine 2021.jpg

That's funny - I have a friend in SLC that saw a white poverty pack running around SL County - driven by a lady.

I see your video had a location mention of Woods Cross which is a town about 20 minutes north of SLC. I wonder if it is the same one or if perhaps there is still another one out there.
Yeah, I picked it up from a Toyota dealer in Bountiful. It has to be the same one. I’ve been lucky finding LX’s/FZJ80’s driven by little old ladies. My LX has the same story…

DC293DC3-49FC-416B-8E9F-98C22D8BFC3A.jpeg

9DBEC8AF-A2CF-4F4C-B3A9-4E8A30E4B047.jpeg

67A0D931-210E-4D84-A7AD-19225DA7C448.jpeg

For those interested, there is a blue (repainted) no sunroof FZJ80 in Hawaii, but it has all the other features of a regular 80…

We are such a bunch of geeks. Who else would get so pumped up about all the features our trucks don’t have.:steer:

Long story that will be told in due time. It’s a 1997 LHD HDJ80. 1HD-FT turbo diesel, H151 5-speed, full-time 4WD, 3x locked, a/c, vinyl floors and seats, manual roll up windows, swing out back doors, and flareless. Under 100k original miles.
I really want one just like that, but am not keen on importing it, how was the process? Did you do it yourself or go through an importer?

I have a 96' poverty pack. It wasn't the lowest rung, though. It came with a sun roof, alloy wheels, third row seats and running boards. It has cloth seats, rubber (plastic) steering wheel, with no faux wood trim, no roof rack.

These are picks near when I got the 80. I had removed the fender flares to get them LineXed.

IMG_2090 2.JPG

IMG_1882.JPG

You should buy a lotto ticket next, that's a ludicrous find.

I really want one just like that, but am not keen on importing it, how was the process? Did you do it yourself or go through an importer?

I'm doing it myself, no importer. The process isn't difficult, I've done it a few times now. I wrote a post about how:

The hard part is finding cars worthy of the trouble.

You should buy a lotto ticket next, that's a ludicrous find.

I'd be wasting my money on Lotto. I used all my luck finding this car.

Sneak peek at my new "poverty pack" 80. Not US spec, but thought it might fit in this thread:

View attachment 2860739
There were two just like that for sale in Switzerland a month or two ago.

LHD 1997 M/Y, Difflocks, 1hdft, vinyl seats, vinyl carpet, 5spd, manual AC control, barn doors, crank windows, 106k km.
10.jpg

cas01.autosc4out24.ch.jpg
cas01.autoscout24.ch.jpg
2.jpg

Unstoppable

Last edited:
Those two cars lingered on the Swiss website long after they had been sold. I looked at both of them. The one shown in your top and bottom photos had no a/c, a replacement driver's seat, and had been repainted, among other flaws. In general, I didn't think it was in a condition to make it worth the price they were asking. The one in your two middle photos is mine now (same car as in the photo I posted earlier).

If anyone seriously wants an 80 equipped like this (LHD, 24-valve turbo diesel, 5-speed, LA10 gray vinyl interior package, 3x locked, rear barn doors), the only places I know of where they were sold are Belgium and Switzerland, and there's not many of them even there. In several years of looking, I've found maybe 4-5 total available, and the majority had been beat down or rusted beyond what I'd tolerate. All the ones I've seen from Belgium were 1996 models in metallic paint (I've personally seen 1A6 Moonglow and 4M7 Flaxen, but there may have been other options). All the ones I've seen from Switzerland were 1997 models in 045 white.

Those two cars lingered on the Swiss website long after they had been sold. I looked at both of them. The one shown in your top and bottom photos had no a/c, a replacement driver's seat, and had been repainted, among other flaws. In general, I didn't think it was in a condition to make it worth the price they were asking. The one in your two middle photos is mine now (same car as in the photo I posted earlier).

If anyone seriously wants an 80 equipped like this (LHD, 24-valve turbo diesel, 5-speed, LA10 gray vinyl interior package, 3x locked, rear barn doors), the only places I know of where they were sold are Belgium and Switzerland, and there's not many of them even there. In several years of looking, I've found maybe 4-5 total available, and the majority had been beat down or rusted beyond what I'd tolerate. All the ones I've seen from Belgium were 1996 models in metallic paint (I've personally seen 1A6 Moonglow and 4M7 Flaxen, but there may have been other options). All the ones I've seen from Switzerland were 1997 models in 045 white.
It makes me happy knowing it's ending up in good hands! Any idea on the story with that towing set-up on it?

Any idea on the story with that towing set-up on it?
The dealer that had it has hundreds of exotic and rare/unusual vehicles for sale. They were using the Landcruiser to shuttle cars around on a trailer. The towing hardware is pretty much the only modification on the car, and it'll be the first thing to come off.

Long story that will be told in due time. It’s a 1997 LHD HDJ80. 1HD-FT turbo diesel, H151 5-speed, full-time 4WD, 3x locked, a/c, vinyl floors and seats, manual roll up windows, swing out back doors, no sunroof, and flareless. Under 100k original miles.
Hey man, greetings from Kampala from someone who used to live in CO. Lovely country for an 80. Do your engine and chassis numbers start with 1HZ and HZ, respectively, or with 1HD and HD? I ask because I have come across an 80 here where the registration lists an engine number starting with 1HZ and chassis number starting with HZ - yet it has the 1HDFT motor in it. The seller (whom I trust) says he bought it from the UN Development Programme at an auction and that he did not do an engine swap. The vehicle seems pretty damn poverty-packish with cloth seats, no third row, manual transmission, no running boards and no faux wood trim or anything of the sort whatsoever. It did have a sunroof (now part of safari roof) and has power windows and locks and A/C. Curiously, it has tailgate style doors instead of barn doors. It is a 1997 and is unlocked.

Basically, hours of internet research make this vehicle seem like a rolling ball of contradictions. I guess any combination of options is possible from the factory, and I know that registration papers here are notorious for having typos (so going to look at stickers/stamps). I have driven it and looked it over and no evidence of a chop job at all. You seem like a poverty pack pro (haha) so wondering whether this combination makes sense to you. Thanks!

Oh, and it is a pretty rad truck with full 3'' exhaust, EGR delete, 50mm lift, steelies, safari roof conversion, TJM bumper, spots, swing-away wheel carrier, fabbed rear bumper. Well used but super tidy and runs like a top. Owner ran a 4x4 shop here for years and it was his personal vehicle.

My engine and chassis numbers are HDJ/1HD indicating my car was originally equipped with the 24-valve turbo diesel. The numbers on the motor, chassis, VIN tag, and owner’s manual all match as they should.

Though I suppose anything’s possible, I’d be suspicious re: what you describe. The frame number and VIN tag should have the same number (chassis number). You should be able to reference that number on ToyoDIY and find your car’s original configuration.

My engine and chassis numbers are HDJ/1HD indicating my car was originally equipped with the 24-valve turbo diesel. The numbers on the motor, chassis, VIN tag, and owner’s manual all match as they should.

Though I suppose anything’s possible, I’d be suspicious re: what you describe. The frame number and VIN tag should have the same number (chassis number). You should be able to reference that number on ToyoDIY and find your car’s original configuration.
Thanks man, I just received a picture of the bulkhead stamp, which features a bizarre combination of codes. Going to share it in a post and see what others think. My research here and on ToyoDIY have helped me figure out what each individual code means, but have not been able to understand the overall combination. So going to submit myself to the overall wisdom of the forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom