Potts Run VA (Pics and VID) 09/17/05 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Please cut and paste the link location into your Windows Media Player's URL window. Or try this link Sorry about that.

Great pics and video! Looks like fun.

Where in VA is this trail?

Felix, its located close to Salem, Va. About 2o minuntes from exit 140 on I-81.

From marshall it took me close to 3 hours, maybe a little less. The trail was alot of fun with some pretty challenging stuff. The guy with us who really knew the area said there were other trails around there too...might be a good idea for another day trip.

Cool, is there any camping around there? That would be about 4 hours for me.

filthyrich, yeah we're heading down for a trail clean-up next Saturday. You'd get to go wheeling and do a good deed. :D

see here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=59571

I am headed to the GWNF Saurday with 2 other 4runners, Disco, and a Bronco II. That is all that I know for now.

Thanks guys!. Potts trail has many camp sites. There are other surounding areas that have trails and camp sites as well. I am definitely going back there again soon. This time the plan is to start from the opposite end. I hope I can get my sliders by then.

Riad said:
Thanks guys!. Potts trail has many camp sites. There are other surounding areas that have trails and camp sites as well. I am definitely going back there again soon. This time the plan is to start from the opposite end. I hope I can get my sliders by then.

Riad, I'd be up for it but we definately would need the sliders for it.

Riad,

That is a nice video. Looks cool driving around rocks! But one thing I noticed, you did not air down your tires that's why they were spinning on all 4 corners when climbing that rocks. Looks fun!

Noel.

He normally runs those tires 50psi and in the video they were aired down to 22psi. The sidewalls just didnt seem to give much.....but trust me, they were aired down.

Do you happen to hit the "ledge" on this trail or did you take the bypass? I hear the ledge is pretty nasty...

Brian

Yes the ledge is pretty nasty. I'd say we 80ers at least need 35s, betters 37s or some sort clearance/protection underneath. Getting the front 2 wheels climbimg up the ledge doesn't seem to be a problem but real issue comes after that, especially for us long wheel bases. I am willing to bet if you have enough clearance and protection you should be able to make it up there, assuming all 3 lockers are in use. As for the tire pressure, next time I'm gonna try with 15 PSI. I have read (here somewhere) that Action Jackson runs his 44s with 12 PSI. But he runs trails that are all like the ledge you are talking about and his truck is probably heavier. In Paragon I ran with 22 psi, so used that as a point of reference to see what happnes. I now have a better idea. Beside, I am convinced that these tires are made for some heavy weight use. Yeah, nex time please join in, any one. The trail is little narrow for an 80 but it isn't too bad.

Last edited:
here are two pics of the ledge.

First one is my 80 about half way up it, you can see what you would have to come down. As riad said, you would need full protection for it.
ledge.jpg

All of these three show pics of the ledge, the jeep obviously taking it from the other direction. For some reason it look alot small in pics than it really is...
ledge.jpg
ledge1.jpg
ledge2.jpg

damn that is pretty crazy. A bunch of guys i know just ran it, but most of them have giant trucks. I think some of them still had some trouble. How was the bypass because i heard that was not much easier?

Brian

BTW i drive a sixty, not that that matters i just thought id mention it.

Brandon, I really wish I'd known you guys were gonna run Potts. My club ran it this weekend too(guys w/ the big Ramcharger, blazer truggy, CJ-5, and Toy pickup that you passed). If I had known you were gonna run Potts I'd have gone w/ my club and met up w/ you guys. I've actually never run the trail, despite it's only being about an hour from here. I'll definately run it once my pickup is finished. If you come back down to the area hit me up and I'll run w/ ya.

BTW, Riad, do you have lockers? Didn't look like it in the movie.

Ary

Ary, yeah those guys planned to go with us but sounds like they had some issue with their trailer? Next time definately, you ought to come. BTW, I don't have lockers installed yet. I have the ARB 3rd members w/4.88s sitting in my basement waiting to be put on. One of these days, I am gonna get to'em. The ledge every one talks about is this one. Once you attempt to take that line, hard to turn back.
dsc01807.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom